Friday, September 28, 2012

The Stories Continue

The day had finally come.  My daughter was leaving home for a 1-year scholarship grant in another continent— so very far, far away.

To put it mildly, we were all ecstatic. For almost a year, she had been seeking out all possible sources for an opportunity to study abroad. And she finally nailed a BIG one. It’s a dream come true for her and as parents we are bursting with pride.

A whirlwind of activities took place in the last two weeks leading to her departure date. Dental and medical check-ups, paperwork to secure a dorm to stay at, packing and unpacking and packing again.


Plus the rounds of despedida parties. All joyful and a bit intoxicating.

In between all these activities, my daughter installed Vtok, a computer program that would allow us to talk and see each other whenever there was need to touch base. We had fun practicing with her in her room and I in the kitchen.

Before I knew it, my hubby and I were taking her to the airport. There was much joking and lots of final instructions while on the road.

“Be sure to text when you arrive at your destination.”
“Get a reliable cab to take you to your dorm.”
“Always lock your doors.”
“Eat well.”
“Call us.”

So on a very rainy afternoon, I hugged my daughter one more time before she hurried on her way into the airport terminal with a trolley heavy with her bags and her dreams.

In the early hours of the following morning, I woke up. As is my habit, I went to my daughter’s room to check if she had come home from her night out with friends. The door was not locked. I peeked into the dark room and noticed the empty bed. It then hit me that she will not be home for a long while.

x o x o x o x o x o x o x

“Mommy, mommy, mommy!”, J called me in her playful sing-song tone. “Check out my room.”

She had arrived at her destination and was giving me a virtual tour of her accommodations.

“And look at the view from my window”, she adds as she moves her laptop camera to show a peaceful lake with lots of trees around it.

I gave out a sign of relief and thanked God for inspiring the inventors of the variety of amazing communication gadgets at our disposal. My daughter and I can continue our stories from where we left off.

Letting go is slowly becoming bearable.

x o x o x o x o x o x o x


On my daughter’s last day at home, she took the time to prepare a pasta dish for lunch. She had found the recipe on the internet.


The first time she prepared this dish, she had her friends over to the house to try it. They finished it all up. This was the second time for her to prepare this pasta dish and it also scored high points with my husband and I.

And what a coincidence that it should be named “Penne Al Telefono”. This is for the way the melted mozzarella cheese stretch and curl up like a telephone cord.



This dish will guarantee you stay connected with family and friends.

Penne Al Telefono

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
a small onion, chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped (more if you love garlic)
1 ½ c crushed tomatoes (you can used canned diced or crushed tomatoes)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp fine salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
1 chicken boullion cube
1 cup all purpose cream
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
200 grams uncooked penne pasta


1. Cook penne pasta al dente or as directed in package.

2. Drain and toss with 1 tsp olive oil so it will not stick together. Set aside.



3. Heat pan and sauté onion and garlic until soft.

4. Add in crushed tomatoes (including the canned liquid) and water.

5. Season with sugar, salt, pepper and chicken cube.

6. Add water and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.

7. Add in cream and simmer for another minute.



8. Put pasta in the pan, mix and add the cheese.

9. Mix for another 1-2 minutes and turn off fire. Transfer to serving dish.





Serve with store bought or home-made bread sticks…. ( slice up some bread, sprinkle with some dried herbs like basil and oregano. Don’t forget the salt and pepper. Drizzle some olive oil on it. Bake or toast until nice and crispy.)



No comments:

Post a Comment