Friday, March 28, 2014

Tree Stories (part 3)

I have been observing the tall Narra tree in my tiny front garden for some time.  It has been almost twenty years since I planted it.  I bought it at a nearby government tree nursery and without a second thought of how huge it could become, planted it on the side of my tiny front lawn.  




From December to late January, it went through the slow process of shedding off all of its leaves--- one by slow one.  Every so often, I would take on the task of sweeping the brown leaves and piling them beneath my garden plants.  I am told this makes for a good cover to keep the soil from drying out.  (Also, it saves me the trip of hauling the gathered leaves to a vacant lot).



Much of February, this Narra tree stood erect and bare and seemingly without life.    There were many  late afternoons when I would seat and contemplate its nakedness.  What now tree?  How much longer shall I wait for your shade? Should I send for someone to trim you to a manageable height?

And just as slowly as it dropped its leaves, tiny nodules of green sprouted over its limbs.  By mid-March, the Narra tree sported a short beautiful green cape.  


This covering will spread over my tiny lawn and provide the much welcome shade from the scourging sun of summer.  Over time, the leaves will turn a darker shade of green before they slowly and surely turn brown and drop off once more.

This tree and I shall continue to keep silent witness to each other’s life cycle.

---xoxoxox---

I just mailed another tree postcard to my Niece.  This is my very slow and continuing effort to share with her my love for trees.  (If interested, you might want to read about the first two postcards by clicking here and here)


                                          March, 2014

Dear N,

Did you know that the Narra is the national tree of the Philippines? It is used for making fine furniture. Ask you mom to show you a narra table or chair.  During the Yolanda typhoon, the narra tree in front of your great grandma’s house in Leyte helped protect the house from the strong winds.  The tree lost all its leaves and the house was saved.

 Keep safe/ love,
Tita J


Before
After


---xoxoxox---

There was a narra tree planted outside our house in Cebu during the green revolution phase of then First Lady Imelda Marcos.  Since it was outside our fence, I did not pay much attention to it. 

In my teens, the narra tree became a landmark when giving directions to our house.  “It’s the green iron gate, beside a narra tree”.  If that was not enough, we added, “ look for a row of bongavilla and San Francisco plants spilling over a barb-wire fence. “

In my twenties,  the narra tree stayed on but this time, my mother had barb-wire wound around its trunk and had a concrete fence erected to replace the “see-through” barb-wire fence. Security was not what it used to be and unsavory characters had taken to climbing the narra tree to get into our yard at night.

Fifteen years ago, we sold our house and a seven-story building now stands in its place.  Unfortunately, the narra tree was cut down.  A waste.  Its value not appreciated.

---xoxoxox---

Being able to witness my narra tree complete another cycle of its life is cause for celebration.  And I take inspiration from past birthdays when my mother would prepare a huge juicy pork pot roast with gravy and steamed veggies on the side.  Do celebrate with me by giving this a try.

My Mom’s Pork Pot Roast

Marinade is for a kilo of pork: (best if you could get the rump or that portion used for making ham (bone-in). Otherwise, you could go for the flavorful but sinfully (read: fat) delicious pork belly-- as I did. )


Marinate overnight with:
1 bay leaf
10 pepper corn
4 t salt
Lots of pepper
½ c vinegar
1 ½ T soy sauce




Mother’s tip: if you have a syringe, use it to inject the marinate deep into the pork.  If not, use an ice pick and prick the pork all over ( also, a good way to get your aggressions out)

My tip: Brine your pork overnight before you marinate it.  What is this, you ask?  Well, submerge your pork overnight in salted water (about 1/4 cup for every kilo of pork. Place in the fridge. Why, you ask?  This makes for a very tender and juicy roast.) This step will add one more day to the process but it will be worth the wait.

Place pork into a crockpot or slow cooker with half of the marinade.  Cook on high for 2 hours and set on low for 4 hours. (You might need to adjust time if more than 1 kilo portion)



Remove the cooked and very tender pork and broil in the oven until skin is crispy. Or you can use your turbo broiler, as I did, by setting it on the highest temperature. (Kinda overdid the broiling on this one.)



Once done, let the pork rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.  This will allow the juices to settle in and not run out.



Gravy:

Try to remove as much of the fat/oil in the liquid that has collected inside the crockpot.  Strain this liquid  into a sauce pan.  Bring to a simmer.  Mix 1 t of cornstartch to 1 T of water.  Add the slur to the liquid.  Make more slur if sauce is not thick enough.  Stir until nice and thick. 

Enjoy with steamed veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment