Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Dad & Dean Martin

Dear Daddy,

Remember Dean Martin? Well, I was randomly clicking out some old tunes on youtube and came across a film clip showing Dean Martin belting out “Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes” and instantly, I thought of you.

Maybe it was the wavy black hair parted on the side and held in place by Yardley Brilliantine Pomade;



or, the lines that form on the side of the eyes when he smiled.



Then again, it could have been the way Dean Martin casually held his cigarette or glass of scotch.



And maybe it could have been the mischief in his eyes when he looked straight into the camera…



Growing up, I remember you singing a bar or two of some 50s tune. Most of the time making up the words when the lyrics escaped you. And when I think about it, many of the advices you gave were taken from lines of a song--- how cool is that!

I remember how quickly my tears disappeared with your rendition of “When you’re smiling” (.....the whole world smiles with you; but when you’re crying, you bring on the rain”). And when the mood hits you, you might humor me further with a little dance.

Well, I just thought I’d drop you a short line to let you know how very much you are fondly remembered. And by the way, happy Father’s Day.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Remembering my dad brought back memories of my mom’s creamy leche flan and how she would always prepare it just the way he liked it—with lots of sugar. She liked to prepare it in a heart-shaped aluminum pan. Now "that's amore".




Leche Flan
You will need to caramelized 3-4 tablespoons of sugar in an 8-inch aluminum pan. Set this aside while you prepared the flan.

In a bowl, beat together 8 egg yolks, 1 cup of evaporated milk, 1 cup water and 12 heaping tablespoon sugar. Set aside.

Now place your pan with the caramelized sugar in a steamer or water bath. Carefully pour your flan mixture into the pan. Cover and steam for about 20 minutes or when after pricking the center of the flan, a toothpick comes out clean.



Let cool to set before transferring flan to the fridge to chill. Turn over the pan on a serving dish and be ready to bask in the affection of your love one.

No comments:

Post a Comment