Sunday, March 11, 2012

Leak Proof

“When is a wrench called a monkey wrench?”, I asked my husband as I watched him fixed a leaking water pipe.

“When it starts monkeying around,” was his quick answer.

I noticed a small smile creeping up on his face.

With a very strong water pressure coming into our 25 year old house, it was inevitable that our water pipes and fixtures would give out one by one to the strain. It did not help that the experienced and no-nonsense plumbers we once knew are either OFWs or presently working at the many condominiums and residences coming up like mushrooms. Not wanting to settle for a so-so jack-of-all-trade workman, my husband decided to take on the task himself—one leak at a time.

So for the last two weekends, I have acted as my husband’s plumbing assistant. I hand over to my husband the tool he calls out for—just like an OR nurse. In this short time, I am now able to identify a mechanical wrench, pipe wrench, combination wrench and oil filter wrench.



And don’t get me started on pliers and the merits between going stainless steel, copper or tin.



In the short time, I have gained a better appreciation for a qualified tradesman—plumber, electrician, mechanic, carpenters and the like. They have my high respects. At the increasing rate of demand for such skilled workers, it is just a matter of time (if the time has not yet come already) when these workers will be earning top bucks.



And best of all, I realize that time spent together with my husband on this project was another way of “leak-proofing” our relationship. Dare I say comparable to a candle-lit dinner for two with romantic music in the background--- without the need to dress up.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Like plumbing or carpentry, cooking calls for appropriate tools. Knives and chopping boards.



25 year old sandok, turner and wooden ladle.



Rubber scrapers, peelers, and whisks.



These are a few of my favorite tools.

But if there was only one tool that I could have in the kitchen, it would be a sharp knife. A knife can determine how quickly and evenly I am able to prepare my ingredients. Although I do not own any state of the art chef endorsed knives, I make it a point to have my knives sharpened on a regular basis. My criteria: a knife that can easily knick a tomato when applying light pressure.

Now if you were to try my papaya atchara recipe, you will definitely need a very sharp knife.

Papaya Atchara (Pickled Papaya)

4 cups grated green papaya
1 tablespoon salt
½ c baby onions, peeled
¼ c sliced bell pepper
¼ c sliced ginger, cut similar to match sticks
½ - 1 c sliced carrots, cut similar to match sticks
½ head garlic, peeled
1 c vinegar
1 – 1 ½ c sugar (more or less depending on whether you want a sweet or sour pickle)
10 whole peppercorns

In a glass bowl, add the grated green papaya and the salt. Squeeze to mix in the salt. Place the papaya in the middle of a muslin or tulle, roll and squeeze out the papaya juice. Do this to the rest of the grated papaya and set aside. (You can squeeze the papaya without the use of the cloth but it will not effectively remove much of the juice.)

In a glass bowl, place the squeezed and grated papaya, carrots, bell pepper and the onions. Set aside.

In a glass or ceramic pot, add the vinegar, sugar, salt, ginger, peppercorn and garlic. While stirring, bring to a boil. Set aside.

Pour the hot vinegar mixture and stir to incorporate. Cool before transferring to clean dry bottles. Refrigerate for at least a week before serving to allow the pickled flavor to mature. Enjoy with grilled meats or fish or serve as a side dish for fried dishes.

1 comment: