Sunday, March 25, 2012

Get it Together

I must confess. I have turned into a noontime talk show addict. To be specific: Ellen Degeneres and Oprah addict. While getting lunch ready for my hubby and myself, I watch. I laugh at witty remarks of Ellen and eagerly lapped up what Oprah had to say about a multitude of topics.

In a recent Oprah episode, I watched as Oprah introduced her guest, Shirley MacLaine—a veteran actress of the glamorous Old Hollywood. I enjoyed listening to S MacLaine recount stories of an era that seem now only a memory—Frank Sinatra, Jack Lemon, Warren Beatty. Intriguing though was S MacLaine’s urging for everyone to get their “act together” in time for the end of 2012. Apparently there is a belief that the earth’s solar system will align with the center of the galaxy on Dec 21, 2012. She continues that “we could be on the threshold of a new beginning. I think what this pressure – this kinda psychic l pressure we’re all feeling – is about, what your internal soul is telling you is, ‘Get your act together!’”

This got me to thinking. It seems the human race will forever be looking for a sign of the end of the world before anyone “get their act together”.

What about me? I am constantly putting off “getting my act together” with the excuse that tomorrow is another day.

But what if tomorrow never comes?

---------------------------------------------------------------

In the Oprah show, S MacLaine showed us around her New Mexico residence that has a beautiful and vast view of the dessert-like landscape. This location may be the inspiration behind her new age beliefs.

In my case, it was a coincidence that my daughter and I “got our act together” and were inspired to prepare a Mexican lunch over the weekend. We decided to do the 7-layer dip I learned from a friend of my sister.



And we also did chicken burritos which turned out "muy delicioso".

Burrito Delicioso
(adaptation from Rachel Ray’s Grilled Chicken Burritos with Mango Salsa)

Marinate for 15 minutes ½ kilo of skinless, boneless chicken breast, pounded 1/2 inch thick in:
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
3 T calamansi juice or fresh lime juice
3 smashed garlic cloves
1 ½ t Salt
Once done, In a grill pan or skillet, cook the chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes; let cool slightly and shred. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, add 1 cup rice and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of chicken broth (can be made out from chicken Knorr cube) , ½ cup tomato sauce, ½ t cumin (this spice gives the burrito the distinct Mexican aroma), 1 teaspoon salt and a chopped garlic clove. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

Assemble or getting the burrito together:
Preheat oven to 350.
Place 4 large flour tortillas on separate sheets of aluminum foil . In the center of each tortilla, spread about 2 T refried beans.

Divide the rice, the shredded chicken and grated cheese equally for the four tortilla and add on top of the black beans.



Roll the tortilla snuggly in the foil (the how-to-roll-a-burrito videos on youtube were most helpful)



and heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes before serving.



Have on had the following as accompaniments or add-ons to the burritos:
Sour cream
Bottled or home-made tomato salsa
Bottled or home-made Guacamole
Hot Sauce
slices of ripe mangoes



The burritos disappeared as quickly as Speedy Gonzales.

No comments:

Post a Comment