Friday, September 21, 2012

Working the Faith


“So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” James 2:17


During the last two months that I have been away from home, I have been steadfast in my habits to say my prayers at certain times of the day:  when I wake up, before meals, and in the early evenings. Religiously, I kept my promise to say the rosary at least once a day.  Attending Sunday masses was top priority.  I have also kept strong my devotion to our Mother of Perpetual Help.



 With so much prayers said, why did I feel as if I was missing out on something?

On my time away from home, I had spent a lot of time with my mother, siblings and friends.  No doubt about it I was happy in their company and in turn delighted that my company, my cooking, my help was very much welcomed.

So what could be missing? I continued to ask myself this question.

When I returned home, I immediately got back to my usual routine: 3 Cs. Cleaning. Cooking. Caring for the needs of my husband and daughter.  Being back home also meant getting back into the swing of things at my parish. Specifically, there was need for time to spend on the monthly mentoring program.  There was much catching up to do.  Because of my recent travels, I have taken a leave from actively participating in the  mentoring program for underprivileged children. In my absence,  I had endorsed the five grade 3 scholars assigned to me to a friend who was also a member of the program.

Finally I am active again. And on the designated 2nd Sunday of the month, it was time to meet my scholars.  At first, only two of the five were present.  Did my absence cause the other three to drift away from the program? But this thought was quickly replaced with much joy when one by one they joined my little group. My scholars were all present. 

I was excited to give them my pasalubong (gift).  I hoped that it would compensate for my absence.  I got them t-shirts with the Superman logo.  I explained that the t-shirts are to remind them that there was nothing they could not do if they put their mind to it.  



The scholars then got busy with the morning’s program.  In between their coloring activities, I asked them about how they were doing at school and if things were alright with their families.   


My heart was bursting with joy as I renewed connections with each of them. 

As I collected the colored works of the scholars, I understood.  What was missing was putting my faith into practice.  I had to work my faith. 

x o x o x o x o x o x o x
 
Being with my mother, siblings, husband and children do give me great joy.  For I know I have a place in their hearts.   But being with these children, knowing that they have nothing to give back in return, is a joy of a different level.     

x o x o x o x o x o x o x

The mentoring component of my parish’s scholarship program require that members of the committee or mentors to meet with the children on the 2nd Sunday of each month. This is appropriately called Mentoring Sunday.  For an hour and a half on Mentoring Sunday, working on an agreed agenda, the mentors meet up with their assigned scholars. Four to five scholars are assigned a mentor.  In the course of the school year,  the mentors hope to guide and motivate their scholars to do well in school as well as cultivate Christian values in them.  By doing so, a better future may open up to these children.

A few days prior to Mentoring Sunday, the mentors  meet up to finalize the agenda.  Possible topics for discussion are brought up.  Will there be singing or dancing? Will there be a special project to do? There is no lack of enthusiasm as each mentor bring up one idea after another.  
 
More often than not, there is food to be shared.  In the last meeting, I brought some banana-walnut cupcakes.  Sharing these tiny treats made for a productive ending.  



Banana- Walnut Cupcakes

 

3 very ripe bananas, mashed  (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 T vinegar plus milk to make ½ c sour cream or you can use ½ c yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place cupcake paper liners on 2 cupcake pans (12 to a pan).

In the bowl , mix the mashed bananas


 and granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined. 

Add the oil, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and orange zest. 


Mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. With care, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.  Ladle the batter into the prepared cupcake pan. At this point, you can sprinkle the chopped nuts on each of the cupcakes.



Bake for 15-20  minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, remove to a cooling rack, and cool completely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment