Sunday, October 2, 2011

The story of N

Early Childhood memories:
N remembers happy times with her mother, father and two younger brothers in a small town in Northern Luzon.

At 13:
N was 13 years old when her father left her mother and three other siblings. Her father could not take the string of bad luck— no work, no money, no food. Her mother had just given birth to a baby sister. With another mouth to feed, N’s father just threw in the towel and headed back to his wife—his 1st wife.

Yes—his wife! He had left his 1st wife 13 years ago to take up with N’s mother.

At 14:
Things did not get any better for N after her father left them. N’s mother, barely recovered from childbirth, immediately went to work accepting laundry work in the neighborhood. Sometimes, when there was no laundry to be washed, N’s mother would go to the public market and offer to do massages or hilot for anyone willing to shell out whatever they could give. Soon after, because of poor nutrition and inadequate rest, N’s mother started to waste away. In a few months, her mother took to her bed beside N’s new born sister. It was up to N to care for her mother, her baby sister and two younger brothers. Occasionally, neighbors and a few relatives would send over some food. N recounted that there were many times when she did not know what to do; who to attend to first—her mother, who had thrown up; or, her baby sister, who had soiled her diaper.

It was not long before N’s mother was rushed to the hospital by concerned neighbors. Everything happened so fast. One minute N is walking back to the hospital with a change of clothes for her mother and the next, she is met with the news that her mother had passed away while she was gone.

Everything after became a blur for N. Somehow news reached her father about the death of N’s mother. After two years of absence, N's father came back to take N and her siblings to Manila. They were to live with him and his 1st wife.

At 15:
N is brought over to my house by her step-mother. In the course of the interview, I was told that N was 16 and soon to turn 17 years old. N was bright-eyed and had an air of innocence about her. N was not exactly what I was looking for in a helper. But, I was taken in by her story and felt I had to help somehow.

At 16:
Inspite of her young age, N proved to be responsible and diligent in her duties assigned to her in my household. Because she also proved to be a quick learner, I decided to train her to cook our meals. She was also a generous daughter. Giving much of her salary to support her unemployed father and 3 siblings. She was excited when I brought up her the possibilities of her going back to school. Everything was coming up roses.

At 17:
Shortly after the Christmas holidays, N tearfully told me that she was pregnant. A floodgate opened and so much information came rushing towards me. Inspite of the stern lecture I gave her regarding relationships with men, she was pregnant. Shortly after I employed her, she was sweet talked to by a man who was 10 years older than her. She also revealed to me that she was just turning 17. She added that she tried to abort the baby but failed due to her ignorance on how to go about it. Her boyfriend had promised to take care of her. She stayed in my household until her 7th month of pregnancy.

At 18:
I received a text greeting from N. She had given birth to a healthy baby boy and was grateful for the assistance we gave her. She texted that her boyfriend was taking good care of them. He will marry her soon.

At 19:
I received a text message from N. Her boyfriend had left her and her son in the care of his parents in Bohol. He was back in Manila. If given the chance and the needed boat fare, she would want to work for me again.

N is still not married. Her son is another number to add to the ever growing population.

< o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o > < o >

N’s situation is not unique. Many young girls continue to get pregnant. But still, I ask myself: Should I have been more vigilant? How else could I have been able to mentor N?

She now has one child. What is to prevent her from having another one? The RH bill? The Catholic Church?

I wish I knew for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment