Monday, September 19, 2011

Health is Wealth

When I was a teenager, I felt invincible and had no thoughts of doctors (except in a romantic sense, I guess). Laboratory tests, let alone pricking needles, were not my idea of fun. Besides, my parents had to pin me down before any vaccination could be administered. I was a regular scare-di-cat!

I was 21 years old when I had my first taste of the horror/relief/joy of a medical examination. I had just been hired. Horrors because an elderly male doctor did my very first breast examination while his nurse/receptionist stood as "sponsor". Relief, because in those golden days, a Pap smear was not part of the package. Joy, as the remark "fit for employment" signaled my entry into the working class.

I did not have to face the same mix of emotions until I transferred to another job. But as the doctor was a lady, the examination was not traumatic. There was no need for doctor visitations until I got married and got pregnant. By then, I could consider myself a veteran of the touch and feel and poke and prick -- marriage opens you up for all kinds of examination (so to speak).

The years went by and as God willed it, I stayed relatively healthy. Frequent visits to doctors were mainly for my growing kids. When I visited my doctor, this was not top in my to-do list, and I went only when I thought it was convenient.

In my blooming 30's, I got my taste of what an executive check-up was all about. At the prodding of a friend, both of us took advantage of the company's benefit. Besides, being a first timer, I looked at it as an adventure as well as a cheap chance to have a legitimate reason to be away from work for 2 whole days. After a whirlwind of examination and poking in "new places where the sun don't shine", I was declared healthy beyond reasonable doubt!!!

Regular check-ups every two years became a habit with me. Being and staying healthy moved up in my to-do priority list. I guess when you hit that certain age, you start to feel subtle changes in your appearance-- a more toothy smile brought about by receding gum lines, a fuller hip, strained eyes after a long day's work. Getting a passing mark after a medical exam became the goal.

Thankfully, 50 is the new 30— and I merrily deny the inevitable and still think of myself as sparkling wine! For did not someone say that aging is all in the mind. But there is no denying what I see piling up on my hips, sprouting in my hair, blurring my eyes and causing the aches in my joints. Yes, all these have made me realize even more the importance of good health. For in order to stay a spring chicken (at least in my mind) and continue to enjoy what life has to offer, I have to toe the health line-- diet, exercise, positive attitude and regular check-ups.

+ / + / + /+ / + / + /+ / + / + /+ / + / + /+ / + / +

In my recent visit to my doctor, she exclaimed that my cholesterol level was quite impressive. I explained that it must be the oatmeal I have everyday for breakfast. She remarked in return, “I should go back to eating oatmeal again.”

With so many oatmeal preparations in the supermarket these days, it should be easy to find one that suits ones taste. There's traditional rolled oats, said to be even more healthier but needs some time to cook, or the just-add-water variety. I prefer the middle-of-the-road oatmeal variety: Quick Cooking. To make breakfast interesting, I add powdered milk, a sliced banana and a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. And like the life we choose to live, oatmeal options can be limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment