Monday, September 12, 2011

The Easy Life

Where is the easy life?

Manila or California? Helpers or gadgets? Freshly made dishes or ready-to-eat packages?

On one hand, dishwashers, washing machines and vacumn cleaners are efficient. And I like the fact that living without helpers afford one privacy and the bonus of not attending to a helper’s personal concerns.

“My husband has no work and my children need money for their schooling.”
“My mother is sick and needs medication.”
"I have a headache."
“My cousin is pregnant and needs to be admitted to a hospital”

But then on the other, I like it that I can leave the house knowing that supper will be ready when I get home and I can watch teevee without a second thought about washing the dishes.

I have become spoiled and have someone to prep my ingredients should I wish to make something from scratch. Then again, I like the convenience that a can opener offers.

I like that at home, I do not have to put a ton of moisturizing cream to avoid drying up. On the other hand, I love that I don’t perspire in the dry California weather. Snuggling in bed is a delight at 68 degrees.

But truth be told, there is no place like home with helpers who need help, tropical hot flashes, the absence of a logical system for doing things, the dust and the occasional stray dog.

Living in Manila affords me the chance to tell stories that captivate and pique the curiosity of friends at gatherings in California.

How easy is that?

X=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=X=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=X

Seeing how easy it was to prepare the following appetizers had me wishing to stay longer in America. After you’ve tasted it, you will thank your lucky stars for your green card or your multiple entry visa. (Thanks F & M for sharing)

F’s 7 Layer Dip

An 18-inch flat serving dish/plate
2 cans refried beans (about 2 ½ cups)
1 container of guacamole ( about 2 ½ cups)
1 container sour cream ( about 1 1/2 cup)
1 packet taco mix powder (about 2 tablespoons)
2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1 packet shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
1 large spring/green onion or leeks, washed and sliced thinly
1 small can of chopped black olives ( about 3/4 cup)



Spread the refried beans on the dish.



Top with the guacamole and spread carefully. Set aside.



Mix the sour cream with the taco powder and spread mixture next on the dish.



Next spread evenly the shredded cheese around.



Cover the dish with the chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions and black olives.



Serve with corn chips and be blown away at how something so easy could taste so awesome.


Guacamole by M

3 ripe avocadoes, chopped & mashed
1 c chopped tomatoes
1/2 c chopped green onions
salt and pepper
juice of 1 lime

Mix all ingredients and serve with favorite chips.



Rumor has it that throwing in the avocado seed into the mixture keeps the guacamole from discolouring.




M’s Brochetta (Caprese style)

1 c chopped tomatoes (cherry tomatoes, if you can get them)
splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
5-10 basil leaves, chopped
baby mozzarella cheese ( sliced up)
salt and pepper
French bread, sliced

Mix all ingredients and top on slices of French bread. May be toasted for add ump : )

No comments:

Post a Comment