Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mission Possible

“As the Father has sent Me, so I send You.”


Why is it that Catholics generally keep their faith to themselves? Unlike the Protestants or Born Again, Catholics are rather timid when it comes to the subject of Jesus. Most Catholics would rather delegate such a task to the priests and the nuns. For isn’t it their jobs to do just that?

Ask a Catholic, on a Monday morning, what was Sunday’s gospel reading and he would most certainly not remember. Would a Catholic know where to find Leviticus in the Bible? How can one tell if a Bible is one used by Catholics? Shamefully, I admit to such behavior and ignorance in the past.

But I am slowly changing this. Ever so gently, I am taking the time to understand my faith. I have taken to daily reading the Bible using mass readings as a guide. I must admit that I don’t get the message of some readings. Gratefully, there have been avenues where I could seek help. Catholic internet sites is one. And another would be Bible Studies (or School of the Word as we like to call it) held at friends’ homes.

It is at these discussions that I have gained knowledge and a better appreciation of what it means to be a Catholic. With better understanding, I am no longer as timid as before. I feel elated to speak about the joy that is my faith to my family, my friends and even to strangers.

Still, there is much to be learned, much to be shared--- my “schooling” continues.

+ o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

It’s a potluck affair at School of the Word sessions. No one knows exactly what would be served until the discussion is over-- at times it’s noodles galore or many ways with chicken. But having a meal together after an enriching talk makes such gatherings a joy to attend.

What follows is a chicken dish I brought to such a recent gathering. It brings me so much joy to share this flavorful recipe with you.

Cream Cheese and Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breast
(Adaptation of Rachel Ray’s Pesto-Presto Italian Flag Chicken)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup softened cream cheese (4 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons of bottled pesto (store bought)
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Grated parmigiano cheese

1. Divide the chicken breasts so that you get 8 portions. Gently flatten them out by pounding with a meat mallet or skillet. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.



2. In a bowl mix together the cream cheese and the store-bought pesto.



3. Divide the cream-pesto mixture between the 8 portions, placing a scoop on one half of each portion. Fold the flap of chicken over to enclose the cheese mixture.



4. Transfer the chicken pockets to a baking dish and lay slices of tomatoes over each breast, overlapping them like shingles.

5. Season with some salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with grated parmigiano cheese.



6. Bake the chicken pockets in a 450F oven until cooked through and lightly golden brown, 25-30 minutes.



7. Serve piping hot with some garlic flavored pasta (Aglio et olio)

No comments:

Post a Comment