Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Evidence is Clear

Finally. I got it done.

I am referring to getting my mother’s household companions to take their health more seriously.

You see, they are in their late 40s and with hefty physique to match.   If they were to take care of my very physically active mother, I had to make certain my mother’s companions stayed healthy and kept up with her. But more than that, they need to do it for their very young children.

Initially, using a digital blood pressure monitor, I took their BP readings.  As expected, their BPs were on the high side.


I next put out the weighing scale. And they gasped in surprise as the scale showed numbers they were not expecting.

I then worked in the invitation to join my regular morning exercises the fun way.  With several dance exercise DVDs, I was able to hold their interest.  I also sweeten their involvement with a contest to see who would lose the most weight after a month. 


But not for long. Once some pounds were dropped, the prize won and with no new dance exercise routine, enthusiasm decreased somewhat. Where once they were ready to start on time, I had to call to them to get ready.  Excuses were aplenty:  “Your mother is calling.”; “I have my period.”; “I just need to wash up some plates”; "it's raining, I have to put in the laundry" . Etcetera, etcetera.

I had to convince them.  I needed stronger evidence. And what better way than to get a doctor to talk to them about their condition.

As I called and did a canvas of prices, I found this effort was not cheap.  Most of the near-by clinics and hospitals charged stiff prices for consultation and diagnostic procedures.  But luck was on my side.  One day, while glancing out of the car’s window, I saw a diagnostic clinic that had recently opened in our area.  Soon after, I made a quick call to the clinic.  In order to attract clients, I was thrilled to learn that the clinic was charging very reasonable rates.

So two weeks ago, I accompanied my mother’s home companions to said clinic.  It was the first time they were getting an EKG, blood sugar and their lipid profile. When all was said and done, they got high marks—BP, cholesterol and sugar levels.  Almost reaching critical if not serious levels.


Because of the medical results, the doctor has to put all of them on medication for a month.  He suggested a healthier diet and regular exercise.  He also recommended a repeat of some blood tests after the one month period to check on their progress.

Short of saying, “I told you so”, I instead consoled them that all was not lost.  They just needed to make a conscious effort to change and make the right choice.  Unlimited rice or just a cup? Fried fish or paksiw? Salty dipping sauces or spicy vinegar? Ice cream or a banana? Aerobics or an extra hour in bed?

For now they are back being on time to join me in my morning exercises.  Hopefully, I have given them the evidence needed to push them to take their health seriously.

---xoxoxox---

After their visit to the doctor, they also visited a dental clinic close by.  While at the dental clinic, they had an animated discussion with the dentist.  Having learned the reason for their visit to the diagnostic clinic, the dentist shared with them her father’s medical history of hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol levels. Since her father was wary about taking medicines for his condition, he heeded the advice of a friend to try drinking Moringa or Malunggay tea (Kamonggay in Visayan). 

After a week of drinking two cups of this tea, the dentist narrated that her father’s medical tests showed marked improvement.

So since that fateful visit to the diagnostic and dental clinics, we (yes, me included) have been downing cups of Moringa tea.


Will some good come out of this? Well, as they say, “Abangan ang susunood na kabanata”.  (Watch out for what happens next.)
---xoxoxox---

You will find a hundred and one reasons on the internet why consuming malunggay is good for you—and some warnings.  You will also find a hundred and one ways to consume malunggay. I have some recipes you might want to try. Leaves stirred into soups with recipes HERE and HERE

But you might also want to make some malunggay tea.  Although you can easily buy this at most health or drug stores, you will find that making it yourself is cheaper and possibly free of preservatives.  

Follow this very simple process as shared by the dentist on how this miracle plant can be made into a cure-all tea.

Step one:
Gather your malunggay stakes and remove leaves-- best if matured (dark green) and not the young ones.  Spread leaves on a tray and air dry for three days or until leaves are “crunchy”.



Alternatively, you can hang a bunch of malunggay stakes upside down on a line and air dry.  Be sure to put a clean bowl or cloth underneath to catch the leaves as they fall. After the leaves are dried, you can further aid the removal of the leaves by giving the stakes a good shake.

Step two:
Place dried leaves in a plastic bag and crush with your hands. Or use the old reliable mortar and pestle.
Alternatively, you can use a grinder or a blender to get the job quickly done.


Step three:
Place crushed leaves in a clean and dry container or a zip lock bag. Store in a dry place.  I was told that this can stay potent for 6 months.  Refrigerating it may be a good idea too.



Step four:
For every cup, place a teaspoon of the malunggay tea in a tea pot. Add hot water and let the tea steep for about 3 to 5 minutes.


Step five:
Take a sip of this life enriching brew.


The resulting dried and crushed leaves can also be sprinkled on rice, soups, noodles or anything you want to add an extra boost to.  Try sprinkling some on your smoothies the next time.

Blended strawberry, banana, yogurt, malonggay
Note to self: we are all looking for an elixir of life as we strive to be forever youthful and healthy. This could be it. But then again, as my sister is wont to say, this could just be “snake oil”. ( fraudulent health products or unproven medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment