Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Friendship across the Miles Series: A Home Away From Home

“You didn't have to be so nice
I would have liked you anyway
If you had just looked once or twice
And gone upon your quiet way…”   The Lovin Spoonful


Asking for a favor let alone asking to stay in someone else's home in America (or anywhere else for that matter) does not come easy for me.  But with friends like D, there was no hesitation, no second thought to send off a quick email to make such a request.

"Hello D, would it be possible to stay at your place for a few days while I wait for my mother and sisters to arrive at a later date?", my email read.

D's response came soon after, "Yehey!!! Yes I will pick you up and you can stay with us for as long as you like :-) ”

The smiley face at the end of her message sealed it for me.  The stress of finding hospitable accommodations was replaced with happy anticipation of seeing a true friend and her family again.





After a 12-hour flight with very little sleep, you would think that I would be a miserable zombie.  But US immigration would attest I was a perky (but polite) visitor.   There was every reason to be upbeat.  I knew a dear friend was meeting me.



My heart leaped in excitement as I saw D bring her vehicle to the curb where I was waiting.  Hugs and laughter and joyful updates ensued as D skillfully dodged traffic. As I entered D’s house her two daughters and her husband made me feel immediately at ease.  

I felt like I had come home.  This was my last thought before I settled for the night and gave in to my tired body.

-----xoxoxox-----

You know you are welcomed when you are allowed the privilege to be part of the family’s conversations and day-to-day activities.  You know you are not a guest but a member of the family when you help clear the table. You know you are trusted when you are assigned to stir up some green beans to go with the baked fish for dinner. 

And you know you are welcome when you get a chance not only to help around the kitchen but be given the recipe of a delicious baked fish that I will simply call the 1-2-3  Easy Fish Bake.  Words are not enough to express my gratitude to the chef and husband of D for graciously coming up with delicious meals during my stay.

Now count yourself lucky as I in turn share the recipe with all of you.

1-2-3 Easy Fish Bake

To 1 kilo of fish fillet (Dory or any white fish), slather with olive oil and Kikkoman Soy Sauce. Season with a little salt and some pepper. A squeeze of lemon is nice but optional. 


Place in a baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes or when fish flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together: (hence the name 1-2-3)
1 T mirin
2 T soy sauce
3 T rice wine
Optional: a dash or two of Shiracha or hot sauce.
Set aside.

Next, prepare some French beans or Bagiou beans.  Remove their “strings” and cut into 1-inch size.  Heat up a pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil and quickly stir fry the beans until dark green and still crunchy. Once done, pour the sauce over the beans and stir for another minute or so.



Transfer the baked fish to a serving platter and serve the beans on the side. Be sure to have lots of steaming rice. 



Any guest will feel very welcomed when served this dish as I was.


No comments:

Post a Comment