Saturday, August 30, 2014

Friendship Across the Miles Series: Forever Special

San Francisco will always be special to me.  It was the entry point to my first visit abroad 25 years ago.  At that time, I was enthralled by its many man-made structures.  The bridge, the cable cars and the quaint houses on both sides of its many winding streets.  Let’s not forget the touristy boardwalk with a variety of shops, street performers and restaurants. 

With each visit, I saw a different side of San Francisco. One year, a sister and I took a ferry and explored China town. Another time, we checked out the thrift stores.  There was an unforgettable car ride on a foggy afternoon that ended with a big bowl of clam chowder on a chilly night out.  

 A year ago, accompanied by two other sisters, a brother-in-law, my mother and a nephew, we ventured out of San Francisco city and op to explore nearby Half Moon Bay. (if interested, here's my take on that day: When Serendipity Took The Driver's Seat)  I can still remember how the cold wind wiped my hair into my face as we walked along the beach.


This year’s recent visit brought new experiences and sights and feel of San Francisco courtesy of my dear friends D and T.  Residents of San Francisco for some time now, they thought of unique and creative ways of showing me their San Francisco.   They came up with a good mix of visits from picturesque destinations to experiencing the ordinary, the everyday routine of their lives-- morning masses, evening walks around their housing area, the charging of their hybrid vehicles at a nearby charging hub.  Every experience, a special one.

Daily mass goers like myself, I appreciated tagging along with them to their favorite church.  There being a small group of mass attendees, I liked that the presiding priest inter-acted with the group with probing questions instead of giving a sermon.  (Unlike Pinoys, Americans are more vocal and will not shy away from giving a response—be it right or wrong). 

Then it was off to their office for a tele-conference and some paper work.  While they got busy, I got caught up in a book I found in their waiting area.  On a regular day, they would bring “baon” for their lunch. They get more job done this way.  But my presence was a good excuse to leave the office for lunch at a Mexican restaurant.


Over carnitas and a delicious mole dish, we continued our conversation about our lives, our children and mutual friends.  Every now and then we would burst out laughing over a past incident.   With friends like D and T, there is a caring interest to listen, to share, to laugh. Judging from the smiles on their faces, life in San Francisco has been good albeit challenging.

Although they kept an eagle’s eye on their children while still residents of Manila, they had the assistance of loving yayas and careful family drivers.  The absence of this support in San Francisco has made my friends’ even more attentive to their children’s needs. I sense their dedication to ensure their children get the best care they can give.

It being summer, much of my friends’ time off from work is spent driving for their children. And I happily joined in those many rides:

-to basketball games:



-to weekend summer camp site:


Again, my presence was another good excuse to stop at interesting sites along the way:

-a flower seed farm;



-the Santa Clara University that my friend hopes her daughter would consider (where I accidentally broke a magnolia bloom in an attempt to smell it's fragrance-- don't tell on me to the authorities);



-and, a Mexican grocery to pick up a key ingredient for dinner:


And despite my strong insistence that D and T do not go out of their way for me, they still did.  Because we are friends and my being there were the perfect excuses:

-to shop for shirts for my hubby after a delicious brunch at an intriguing road-side diner, 3 Zero Cafe,  with an collection of model planes and aviation memorabilia for decor.




-to visit an out-of-the-way bakery in Pescadero,  Arcangeli Grocery Company/Norm’s Market for delicious artichoke bread and an apricot jam



-to go perfectly with some goat cheese from Harley Farms  located also in Pescadero area




-for a picnic at a picture-perfect beach along the highway.



More than anything, I came to realize its friends like D and T that make San Francisco extra special.

----xoxoxox---

Thai, Mexican, Italian, French, Chinese, Pilipino, Spanish and more.  You will find them all in San Francisco together with their distinctive cuisine.  When in San Francisco, you literally could take a trip around the world via your tummy.

Fortunately, I did not have to travel all over San Francisco to do so.  D’s husband made sure to wipe up a variety of meals taking inspiration from these cuisine.  One night it was a Margherita Pizza topped with arugula paired with a salad.  



Another time, it was chicken in lettuce wrap.  And for another meal, Vietnamese fresh spring rolls that were so elegant in its simplicity.

On my last night at their home, I was picked up by my sister, M, and her husband.  But we did not leave until we were treated to a sumptuous feast.  T came over to D's house bringing a bottle of delicious red wine to go with a canape tray of melon wrapped in prosciutto and stuffed olives.  D’s husband outdid himself with his Hainanese chicken served with its soup and rice.

Saying good-bye was difficult when you have been welcomed so warmly by true friends.

---xoxoxox---

I liked how healthy and delicious the meals prepared by D’s husband were.  I appreciate too the time he spent coming up with these dishes—specially the Hainanese chicken.

I now offer you something similar but less process intensive. With the help of my crock pot, I came up with this healthy version of cooking chicken.  Warm up someone’s heart and give this recipe a try.  

Slow-Cooked Chicken with Celery  (adaptation from a recipe of Jacqueline Heriteau)

You will need:
1 whole chicken (about 1.3 k to 1.5K)- brined overnight (this means submerge in water with 1/4 c salt) brining is optional but it does make for a juicy chicken
2 onions (1 peeled and left whole and the other sliced)

spice rub:
1 teaspoon each of:
    salt
    onion powder
    garlic powder
1/2 t curry powder
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t chili flakes (optional)
1/4 t pakrika (optional)




2 celery stalks (don't like celery-- no problem. You may use tomatoes or basil or more sliced onions instead)

Wash the brined chicken and pat dry.  Massage the spices on the chicken and place the whole onion inside its cavity.




Place a metal trivet (food grade) inside your crock pot or slow cooker. (Or like me, I wrapped a metal pastry cutter with foil) This will prevent your chicken from swimming in the drippings.



In the bottom of the pot, make a bed of sliced celery stalks and sliced onions.

Next, place your chicken breast up on top of the trivet and layer with celery leaves. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, then turn to low setting for 3 hours. 




You can serve the fall-off-the-bones chicken plain or you can turn the cooking liquids into a delicious sauce to pour over it.




Delicious Sauce:

Drain the juices from the cooker and skim off and reserve about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of chicken fat.  Pour the cooking juices into a small skillet, turn the heat to high and boil down until there is 1/2 to 3/4 c of stock left.  In another skillet, over low heat, warm the chicken fat, over low heat.  Stir about 2 Tablespoons of flour to make a roux.  When you have a smooth paste, pour the cooked-down stock into the skillet, stirring quickly to keep the sauce smooth. Simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.  Pour this sauce over the chicken.

Left over chicken makes for delicious sandwich fillings the next day.  Instead of using the chicken juices as a sauce, you can freeze this and use when making chicken soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment