Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Potato Reminder

Clean up breakfast dishes. Attend parish meeting. Do grocery. Hurry back home to start preparing lunch.

It was a chore-full morning.  I was now busy peeling potatoes to go with the "bistek" I was serving for lunch.  A million and one things and scenes were going through was mind.  It was pure luck that I did not cut myself with all that thinking.
Well, more complaining that thinking really. If I had my way, I would have stayed in bed until late into the morning.  No breakfast for hubby, my absence would be noted at the meeting, an empty pantry and a banana for lunch. 

But here I was peeling the nth potato.  If I had my way, I would have taken off for a weekend market nearby. I would be ohhing and ahhing over the freshest vegetables and gorging on kakanins left and right.  When lunch came around, there would be just too many choices at the food stalls.

Then it happened.  I had just halved the last potato when something in the center of the potato caught my eye.  There was a cross in the middle of the potato.


Or what looked like a cross.  I have cut a lot of potatoes over the years.  Sliced, cubed, diced and mashed them up.  And this really called my attention-- enough for me to run up to get my camera and snap a photo of it.

Me being me, I stopped and looked at the cross-like marking inside the potato.  It could only mean one thing.  It was a sign to remind me to quit complaining and put my faith to work.  Why shouldn't I be busy?  I should be counting my blessings and not be stumped by imagined lost opportunities. Didn't I promise to be of help in my parish? So why the pout? Besides, I am an early raiser and staying in bed the whole day would be bad for my back.

The cross in the potato reminded me that a little sacrifice does go a long way to bring grace and contentment into my life.  Grace in the form of fulfillment in doing a good job and in the form of happiness when going the extra mile for someone else. Plus peace and order in the home. 

Whenever I am tempted to complain about something or someone, I just tell myself: "Remember the potato".

---xoxoxoxoxox---

When I emailed my kids a picture of the potato, my son replied: "Pagan". My daughter did not react but I am imagining her rolling her eyes up.  Well, whether they like it or not, I know that they will remember me everytime they come across a potato.  And maybe, just maybe they might be reminded about the good that comes from sacrifices.

---xoxoxoxox---

When bogged down with too much to do, potato tends to be a comfort food.  French fries, potato chips, hash browns, mash or baked potatoes.   It's the perfect partner for any meaty dish.  Actually, it's so good, you need not have to have meat to enjoy it.  And there's something extra special about potato dishes that are made from scratch. Must be the sacrifices one goes through to peel, slice, dice, cube or mash up the potatoes.... ha..ha.

I picked up the following recipe from my sister, M.  You'll go back to this recipe time and time again as I have.

M's Easy Baked Potatoes

Peel and slice into chunks  about 5 large potatoes.  Drop in a pot and add water to cover.  Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy.

Drain the potatoes.  Place in a baking pan with a bottom that has been liberally coated with butter.


Season the potatoes generously with salt, pepper and olive oil.


Broil in an oven until golden.


Serve with your favorite meat dish.  Or just enjoy by itself and get instantly comforted.


Ps: You might also what to sprinkle some dried herbs like basil and oregano to kick up the aroma.




No comments:

Post a Comment