Sunday, March 31, 2013

Not so Easy



It’s one of those rare times when I find myself staying at home for the Holy Week.  Then, those four-day break from work was perfect for getting away with the kids.  Usually to relax at the beaches of Cebu or spend time with the relatives up in the mountains of Leyte.  Since I retired, every day is vacation day for me.

But with my daughter away at school and my son busy with work, I decided to stay put this year.  Aside from the day-trip to Laguna, much of my Lenten days were spent reading books to help with my reflections about the supreme sacrifice and attending activities held at my parish.   Palm Sunday, confessions, way of the cross, processions, vigil and finally Easter rites. 


 Like New Year, Easter brings the promise of rebirth, the chance to change for the better – not for the bitter. 

Am I close to the answers that I seek?  Honestly, I feel that I am a long way off.  It will take more than one Lenten season to fully grasp the meaning of what it is to be like Christ and to truly take it to heart.

Assessment: I am a slow but on-going work in progress.

---xoxoxoxox---

It was almost lunchtime and I did not have soup that would go well with my beef stew.  I only had a small head of chinese cabbage (pechay baguio), 3 potatoes, a piece of ginger and some garlic from my almost empty veg bin. A quick check on the internet yielded me just the recipe I needed. A little tweak and the resulting soup turned out to be surprisingly delicious.

If only my search for life’s answers would be as easy. 

Creamed Chinese Cabbage and Potato Soup

A small head of Chinese Cabbage, chopped up to make 3 cups
3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 teaspoon minced ginger (more, if you like more heat
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 c chicken or veg stock (you can use a soup boullione)
Salt & pepper to taste.
Croutons

Place everything in a pot and simmer until potatoes are soft.  Cool down a bit.  Pour the soup into a blender and zap away until nice and creamy in consistence.

Return to the pot.  Simmer shortly before serving.  Have some croutons to add on the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment