Friday, June 8, 2012

Nero: A Dog Story

Seven years ago, I was born in a garage together with 4 other siblings.  I really never knew my father but that did not matter.  My mother loved me so.  My days were  filled with joyful wakefulness with my siblings and dreams of chasing butterflies.



But not long after,  I was given away by my mother's master.  I was taken away from the safety and warm embrace of my mother.  Overnight, I had lost my siblings. 

At first I missed my mother and I would cry for her. No amount of soothing whispers from my new master could console me.  I was heart-broken.

But I soon realize that it was futile to be sad and whine for the past.  Besides, my master was kind, held me in her arms and stroke my back to make me feel better.

She had a brother who liked to wrestle with me.  I truly enjoyed those times when he would let me chase after him around the house.  All that running around and noise did not go well my master's parents.  They would always shusshh us to be quiet. 

One day, a lady came to help with the laundry.  I can't explain it but I did not like this lady.  Don't you get that feeling when you meet a person for the first time and you just feel that the chemistry between you is not right?  Well that was the way it was with her. 

To my great discomfort, she would pat my head when she arrives at the house.  Until I just could not take it anymore and nipped at her chin.  I created a great commotion and my master's parents were very upset.   The lady had to be brought to the doctor for some shots.

Soon after, another lady came to help with cleaning the house.  My master had given me a good lecture about behaving and I bent down my head feeling misjudged.

Everything went on well as I liked this new lady.  She was kind and would give me treats.  But then out of the blue, she startled me.  Out of self-defense, I nipped her at the ankle.  I felt that there was just too big a fuss about such a small nip.  My master never heard the end of it from her parents.

The final straw that broke the camel's back was when I nipped another lady who was leaving the house with a basket.  How was I to know that she was leaving for the market and needed the basket?  I innocently thought she was stealing from my master. 

Before I knew it,my master attached a link chain to my collar and secured me at the garage. 

I was judged to be a menace to society when all I lived for was to protect my master.  So for the last three years, the garage has become my home.  At times, my master takes me out for long walks that I love so much. Sometimes, she permits me to sniff at everything we pass.  During New Year's Eve, my master sits with me until all the midnight fireworks have died down.  And when she comes home from work, she is sure to give me a hug-- never mind that I get my hair all over her dress.

My life is restricted bacause of the chain.  But no matter, I still have my dreams of butterfiles and the love of my master.



-------------------------

I am not fun of keeping animals as pets.  I feel that it's a waste of emotional energy to take care of one.  The most I would give is tolerance.  When my daughter is at work or travelling and cannot take care of Nero, I willingly clean after him and make sure he does not go hungry.  And for that I know that he is grateful and takes whatever affection I occassionally give him.

About a month ago, Nero got sick.  The change of weather must have been the culprit.  When my daughter found out, she immediately searched the internet for possible remedies.  One called for increasing the caloric intake of a sick dog.  She proceeded to the kitchen to cook some chicken noodle soup and when it was ready, she coaxed Nero to eat it.  With soulful eyes, he obliged.

I looked on with marvel at the two of them.

-------------------------

Down with a cold?  There is some truth to the old wives' take: Starve a fever and feed a cold.  Here's a homey recipe that is sure to ward off aches and stiffness or for when you want a delicious warm fix.

Chicken Macaroni Soup aka Sopas

1/2 of a chicken breast, boiled with a dash of salt and pepper and a little onion
(remove when cool and shred or cubed)
the chicken broth
1 small onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small celery stick, chopped
1/2 c diced ham (optional)
1 small carrot, diced
a handful of grated cheese (optional)
1/2 c evaporated milk
1 c elbow macaroni (boiled al dente and drained)



Saute the garlic in a little oil then follow this up with the onions and celery.  Add the chicken and ham and stir for about a minute. Add the carrots and the reserved chicken broth.  Bring to a simmer then add the macaroni.   Pour in the milk and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes.  Season with some salt and pepper.  Serve piping hot with the option to add some shredded cheese on top. Yum!











1 comment: