Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Love is in the Air

Weddings get me all sentimental and the one I attended last Saturday was no exception. I was happy to have attended the wedding of the son of a very good friend. Her son was marrying a lovely girl who possessed a most charming smile and eyes that sparkled. It was a Christian wedding set in a mango orchard and the venue could not have been more idle for the whimsical themed event.





I could not help feel teary eyed specially when the groom and the bride exchanged vows they personally wrote to say to each other. Just thinking about how to describe my feelings got me all “brain tied”. Maybe it’s because I once more was face to face with a love that is so brand new and precious; maybe it’s because it brought memories of my own wedding day; and, maybe, it made me recognize how far my husband and I have gone together.



Suffice to say, love was definitely being carried on the breeze that gently moved among the mongo leaves that day.




------------------------------------------------------


I could not help remember the lines of a song from the “King and I”.  It expresses more or less what I felt.



I share the lyrics and a link for your listening pleasure.



HELLO YOUNG LOVERS

Hello young lovers, whoever you are,
I hope your troubles are few.
All my good wishes go with you tonight,
I've been in love like you.

Be brave, young lovers, and follow your star,
Be brave and faithful and true,
Cling very close to each other tonight.
I've been in love like you.
I know how it feels to have wings on your heels,
And to fly down the street in a trance.
You fly down a street on the chance that you meet,
And you meet--not really by chance.
Don't cry young lovers, whatever you do,

Don't cry because I'm alone;
All of my memories are happy tonight,
I've had a love of my own.
I've had a love of my own, like yours-
I've had a love of my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2yeH7uTX88&feature=related

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A delicious buffet was prepared for the guests in the reception area that was playfully decorated with pinwheels, pastel ribbons ,buntings and delicate flowers. And pretty cupcakes took center stage instead of the traditional wedding cake.



This was keeping with the whimsical theme.

Memorable to me was the tender Chicken Salpicao. I had asked for another serving—it was that good. The taste was so memorable that after a couple of days, I tried to replicate it at home for lunch. Below is my interpretation. It was not exactly the same as that served in the wedding but it delighted my daughter and my husband. I now have a Salpicao recipe I can call my own.

Curly Cook's Chicken Salpicao

800 grams skinned and deboned chicken thighs- cut into bite size pieces
1 head of garlic, chopped finely
2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce + 2 tablespoons
2 tablespoon kikoman light soy sauce + 1 tablespoon
Salt and pepper
2-3 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
Marinate the meat in the sauces ( 2 T each of worcestershire sauce and kikoman sauce) add about a third of the chopped garlic. Set aside for about 15-30 minutes.



Heat the oil and melt the butter in a skillet. When very hot, add the rest of the garlic and fry until golden.


Remove the garlic and set aside. Now add the chicken slices and remember not to over crowd or you will steam up the chicken and not fry it.




When done, place on a plate. Cook the rest of the chicken pieces. When you have cooked all of the chicken pieces, place them all back into the skillet. Add the remaining worcestershire sauce and kikoman sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Give this a good toss and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle the fried garlic liberally on top of the chicken. Enjoy with lots of steaming white rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment