Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mama said, Papa said...

Why is it only later in life that a person finally accepts the wisdom of his elders? What is it in our youth that makes us want to discover the answers to questions already answered?

These questions I ask myself as I looked back at the rebellious, curious and wonderful nature of my children. In them, I saw the young me that once did battle with her parents (why can't you trust me?!); her teachers (why can't you tell me something I really don't know?!);and, with anyone who had some form of authority (I wanna be free!). In my children, I saw myself trying to comprehend relationships (does he or doesn't he?); the cause and effect of the forbidden (just one try); and the meaning of life (what am I? who am I?).

Was this life's cruel joke of getting back at me? I figured not. It's just life. It just is.

So what is a parent to do? Well, when faced with the challenges of raising my kids, I applied the following time-tested prescriptions as told to me by my mother and father:

For fears and worries-
Let's cross the bridge when we come to it.

Troubles at school-
Would you like me to talk to your teacher?

When fighting for a cause-
It's alright to be idealistic. But remember to be realistic.

When depressed-
Laugh and the whole world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone.

When selling or buying-
There's a sucker born every minute.

When faced with life's trials-
In some hearts some rain must fall.

The need to exercise caution-
Ang mag-dali, ma-bali. (literally: those who rush will break)

Definition of Lust-
Mapug-gnan ang baha, nungka ang biga. ( You can hold back the floods but not lust.)

Do unto others...-
Ang gaba dili mag-saba. (Karma does not announce itself.)

Approach to Make-up-
Start as late as you can with the least amount on. Add one layer very, very gradually over the years.
Late Exposure-
Just like cars, boys will always go for the newer models.

Surviving a Bad Experience-
It's done so don't ever do it again!

Permission withheld-
Your time will come.

A Mother's classic fallback lines-
a) You'll know what I mean when you have children of your own.
b) Because I am your mother and I say so.

Do you still remember what your mama and papa use to say to you?

===============================
The word mama & papa bring to my mind Italian recipes ( go figure..). Maybe it's my association with words like: Mama Mia and Papa Picolino (a pasta commercial). So here's a healthy and hearty recipe adapted from Rachel Ray. Don't be turned off by the paleness of the picture. Trust me. It's delicious or so my family tells me.

Chicken Piccata Pasta



• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 500 grams of chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
• Salt and pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup white wine or grape juice
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons capers, drained
• 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
• 1 pound penne rigate or fetuccini pasta, cooked to al dente
• Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish (optional)

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute. Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine.



Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment