Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hey There Little Firefly!

The day has come to an end. Bone weary from clipping grass and cleaning up my garden, I sat by my bedroom window watching night take its reign. I glanced at the familiar landscape that was now shrouded in darkness. The rain had stopped falling for the time being and the breeze carried a sweet note of freshness.

As I continued to stare at the darkness, my attention was called by a tiny spark that went on and off among the tall grass in a vacant lot across the street. Then I spotted another tiny flicker of light. Soon several tiny lights danced and flashed and raced over the grassy area. Was I seeing aliens or some supernatural beings? Yes, in a way, they were supernatural. For how else could I describe the tiny sparks of light coming from fireflies? My tiredness forgotten, I was once more transported to the many times in the past that these little bugs have enthralled me--- up in the farm of my grandmother, at a lonely stretch of beach, with a friend on our commute home from work, and during early evening walks with my then young children.

I also fondly remember how my then 18 year old son decided to drive me around our subdivision pointing out dark sections of vacant lots he knew held similar "magic shows". My son, who like all boys, is an expert with bugs and all crawly things, explained that fireflies normally live close by water sources-- creeks, ponds, canals and the like. It also helps that there are trees and tall grasses in the area for them to rest during the day.

And so, Mother Nature has waved her magic wand and the resulting light beams filled me once again with wide-eyed wonder. With a happy sigh, I called on my two young house helpers to hurry up to my room. Magic shows like these were meant to be shared.

I know that I am blessed to live in a community that still hold many of Nature's treasures. For through these natural treasures we find the child that is in us. The child that hopes and dreams of all that is wonderful and good.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Living in the city may have made many of us lose touch with the child that is within us. We have grown cynical with the world and with those around us. Well, here's a recipe that will surely bring out the child in you and will make you look at life with hope. Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe from "Joy of Cooking"-- this recipe is a JOY classic, and the book states that the recipe had appeared in the book since the 1943 wartime edition-- how's that for popularity?!?!)



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line 2 cookie sheets.
Whisk together:
1 cup plus 2 Tablesppons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Beat in a large bowl until well blended:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

Add and beat until well combined:
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in the flour mixture until well blended and smooth.

Stir in :
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until the cookies are just slightly colored on top and the edges are brown, 8 to 10 minutes.



Let stand briefly, then remove to a rack to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment