Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Favorite Things

Ribbons, beads, flowers and trinkets. Scissors, glue, needle and thread. These are just a few of my favorite things-- musings patterned after a song from the movie, "The Sound of Music".

To keep my mind off the sweltering summer heat, I decided to make something out of the craft materials squirreled away in several plastic containers. Out came the glue gun, empty containers, paper boxes, scraps of textiles, paper flowers and old roll of lace.



At first I did not know what I wanted to create. Then like the proverbial light blub, I got it! Containers for Easter surprises!!



I admit that I got carried away with some of my creations... I should have remembered that less is more. Oh, but I love them more.



And some creations brought back memories of weddings



and giggly debutante nights



and tender baby showers.



Like anything in life, it is not what you have but what you make of it. And most important of them all, you are happy with what you make of what you have.

: * : * : * : * : * : * : * : : * : * : * : *

After I was done with a particular batch of tiny round containers, I arranged them in a circle and called my hubby for his comment.



"They look like cupcakes-- good enough to eat.", he said.

That was enough to make my day.

What follows is not a cupcake recipe but a muffin recipe but I like to think of it as a cupcake because it's baked in a cupcake pan. What's the difference between a cupcake and a muffin? hmmm.. good question. I read somewhere that cupcakes are minature versions of a cake and usually iced while muffins are considered a close relative of bread but easier and quicker to make. That's all I need to know.

The recipe below is not only easy to make but pretty to look at when it's baked. Best of all, it's yummy and baking it makes me happy!



Mocha Walnut Wonder Muffins
(adopted from 1993 Ladies Home Journal Magazine)

2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 c butter milk or plain yoghurt or in a measuring cup put in 1 T vinegar and then add milk up to 1 cup level
3/4 c cooking oil (corn or canola)
1/2 c water mixed with 1 1/2 t instant coffee powder
3 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c chopped walnuts or casuy
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 regular size muffin pan with paper cups.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set asie.
3. In a large bowl whisk buttermilk/yoghurt, oil, coffee, eggs and vanilla until blended.
4. Stir flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture just until blended.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.



6. Sprinkle the walnuts and choco chips on top of each muffin and press lightly.



Bake 20 to 25 minutes until pick inserted near centers comes out clean.



7. Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, came across your blog when one of my classmates emailed us about your school memories. Just curious especially since you mentioned there Zubuchon lechon. I am a follower of marketmanila's blog. That was something familiar to me.
    I like your flowerettes, if you can call those.
    Good luck. Will read the rest of your blog.

    ReplyDelete