Friday, March 5, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine!

I used to be a night person. Like an owl, my energy level peaks the later the hour. I remember how productive I was when the clock stuck five. Reports and charts seemed faster to do later in the day. And when I got home from work, I'ld check on the kids' homework and still have the energy to bake up a batch of cookies to take to the office the next day. Then there were all those "midnight madness" shopping expeditions at the malls with friends. And let's not forget the "I could have danced all night" chapter of my life. Like Dracula, I would rather sleep in late than wake up with the roosters. It was torture having to get ready for work in the mornings.

It's funny how ten years ago,while on a night out with friends, I would be disappointed when one of the more "senior" member in the party would start yawning. And it was only 10 o'clock!!

Now I can say that I still have the samba moves that could heat up a dance floor and the skill to whip up something interesting in the kitchen. But all, I find, are better done way, way before the clock strikes the Cinderella hour.

Where I used to love the burst of energy and excitement that the evening brought, I now find myself drawn to the freshness of the morning light. Sleep is eagerly sought in anticipation of what the morning will bring. What new wonder will greet me? What new thought, what new idea? The mornings signal so much possibilities up ahead in the day.

Where before I gave thanks for surviving another day, I now give thanks for being given another day.

x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x

Need an energy boost to start your day? Try my sunshine packed breakfast drink that will surely see you glow and go.

Have ready:
1 cup chopped fruit (may consist of a ripe banana or strawberries or mangoes or papaya or melon or a mix of these fruits to make 1 cup)
2 heaping tablespoon of raw oatmeal ( quick cooking, instant or rolled)
1/2 to 2/3 cup water
some sugar or honey (optional)




Procedure:



Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend away until smooth.

Find a relaxing spot to leisurely enjoy the resulting drink.



Pointers:
*You may use cold water and add some ice cubes.
*If using bananas only, I find that two will do.
*When combining fruits, choose the ones that are known to combine well-- bananas usually pair off well with strawberries or mangoes.
*You could also add some cinnamon to add some interest to it.
*Remember that the drink tends to firm up because of the oatmeal. So it is best to drink this as soon as it's ready. Otherwise, just add water if the drink thickens too quickly for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment