Sunday, August 23, 2015

Bliss

Last week, I was very privileged to witness what heaven might feel like-- twice! Two celebrations of love— one happening a day after the other.



Both couples had their own unique and special stories of how they met and how their relationship flourished.   But despite the differences in circumstances, there is one word, to my mind, that captured what these couples were experiencing. And that would be bliss.


The way they looked at each other whether close or at opposite sides of the room; their radiating smiles lighting up their faces; the overwhelming emotions that sometimes made them teary eyed (me included) as they spoke fondly of the other.

And best of all, their happiness overflowed and filled the hearts of each and every person present. 

True love. True bliss. Truly heavenly.

---xoxoxox---

It’s been a week since the two celebrations.  And in the last four days, I have found it difficult and frustrating to express my thoughts about what I witnessed.  I was experiencing a mental block of some sort. How could I not adequately capture in words what love is/was?

And then this morning at Sunday mass, the second reading taken from the letter of St Paul to the Ephesians (Eph 5:21-32) hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Love is the conscious commitment to put the needs of another person before that of your own. It is a love that Christ has for each one of us. 

And thus, to experience such a love is a step closer to heaven. 

Ah, Love. Indeed so hard to encapsulate in words. Truly a Divine mystery.





No comments:

Post a Comment