Sunday, May 24, 2015

Be Cool: A Story in Three-Parts

Part Two

9AM.

The alarm rings.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I glance at my daughter as she continues to sleep through the noise.

I killed the alarm, stretch, said a silent prayer of gratitude for a good night’s rest. 

I peeked through the blinds to check out the activities on the street outside my daughter’s apartment.  Kids were already playing as a puto vendor tooted his horn to announce his presence: put-o, put-o, put-u.

Beep beep. Text alert.


I’ll pass for you at 10. Let’s have brunch.

It was from my son. He lived in an apartment two blocks away.

The first day of our 3-day long weekend had just started.  Not in a frantic pace to get to the airport early. But in a much leisurely manner with the luxury to sleep late into the morning with nary a worry about catching a flight.

My movement around the tiny space of my daughter finally woke her up. In no time, we were ready and hungry as my son called to tell us he had arrived to pick us up.

Expertly driving through the maze of one-way, no left turn streets of Makati, my son got us to our destination: Wild Flour Café and Bakery.   The resto was packed and as we settled ourselves around a tiny table, a much better sitting arrangement became available. It was at a far corner which gave us the opportunity to people watch and chat without having to raise our voices above the den of the restaurant.

We did some people watching after placing our orders:  a in/famous beauty queen; a contrabida actress; there were both old and young couples and there were families – young ones with baby and yaya, and large families with Lola, Lolo and yaya.  But the one that got much of my attention was a young mother who was busy, not taking pictures of her husband and child, but taking pictures of the food they ordered. I ventured a guess—food blogger?

I also noticed that her husband was patiently keeping quiet and waiting for her to finish taking pictures of the food on their table.  Keeping my camera in my bag, I decided to focus on my kids and our conversation.  That was the whole point of my being with them. 

The conversation went along pleasant lines as we enjoyed our late breakfast — basketball games won, funny incidents at the office, and the latest news on friends and family.

As we settled the bill, we agreed to spend the afternoon in the cool comforts of a movie theater.  It had been some time since I last watched a movie in a theater and I gamely agreed on my son’s choice: The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The movie was science fiction at it’s most hi-tech level.  I soon dropped my effort to keep track on all the sub-plots and twist and turn. I just marveled at how complicated such movies have become and feasted my eyes on simpatico Thor.

What I learned: Even super heroes have issues.

As my son had to be elsewhere in the evening, my daughter and I capped our day with a visit to a cosy bar named 12/10.  Again, sorry no pictures to share.  

Just this realization: it’s cool to have drinks over long talks with your kiddo on how to save the world, about our dreams and what our plans would be for the next day.

The silver lining of the previous night’s dark cloud had shown through. Now that’s certifiably cool.

(For those of you hungry for pictures, click here for Wild Fluer and here for 12/10)

xoxoxoxox

I thoroughly enjoyed my brunch choice at Wild Flour: Croque Madame. It consisted of ham, gruyere cheese, béchamel sauce and a fried egg piled up on a thick slice of artisan bread.

Wanting to re-create this morning goodness but a notch healthier, I turned to my daughter’s recipe for poached egg.  You will find, as I did, that there’s nothing too complicated to handle if you stay cool.

Curly Cook’s You-can-Poach-an-Egg-Easily, Ham and Cheese Sandwich

You will need:



A thick slice of artisan bread (don’t have it, no problem. Use whatever bread is in you kitchen)

A slice of ham (don’t have it, no problem. Check your pantry for luncheon meat)

A slice of gruyere cheese (don’t have it, no problem. Cheddar or whatever cheese in the fridge works fine)

An egg (don’t have it, no problem.  Borrow from neighbor)

A Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (don’t have it, no problem. Ordinary cooking vinegar or lemon juice or calamansi works too. This is to help coagulate the whites better)


How to Poach the Egg:

1.       Gently crack the egg into a cup or small bowl. Set aside.



2.       Bring some water about 2-3 cups in a small pot to a brisk boil and then lower the flame so that the water simmers. Add the vinegar.

3.       With a slotted spoon, stir the water around quite quickly.


4.       Gently, gently slide the egg in the middle of the turning water.



5.       Watch a delicious miracle happen as the yolk is blanketed with the egg white.



6.       The egg is ready to be taken out with the slotted spoon in about 2-3 minutes when the whites are no longer runny. 


      Don’t worry about the white strands in the water. You can drain the water and give these to your dog or cat.  Set aside the pouched egg until ready to assemble your sandwich.



Assembling the Sandwich:

1.       You may toast your bread and spread some butter on it. No toaster, no problem. Melt the butter in a pan and press your bread on the hot surface until nice and brown.



2.       Place your bread on a plate. Top with the ham or luncheon meat.

3.       Follow this with the cheese.

4.       Top with your gorgeous poached egg.

5.       For some umph, sprinkle with chopped parsley.  No parsley, no problem. Some salt and pepper will just do find.




Ta dah! Let the sun shine through your day or night.





1 comment: