Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Time Just For Planting

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens… Ecclesiastes 3



When rain falls almost everyday, what time do you suppose it is?

Time for planting!!

It was time to plant the seeds I got from my mother’s “Peacock Flower” shrubs  in Cebu last summer.  

Pretty Peacock Flowers in a vase


They had been tucked in a drawer wondering (if plants can wonder) when they were going to break loose.

Peacock seeds & pods
I am also excited to see if the seeds of the “powder puff” plant I got from my cousin’s garden in Florida will take root.

my cousin's powder puff (w/visiting lizard)

It was time to establish the papaya saplings to their permanent home-- the vacant lot beside my house. Thankful for this space, this is also where I grow my malonggay, lemon grass and alugbati.



As is was with a sapling that would eventually bear fragrant light yellow flowers—a gift from a neighbor.  I think it’s a “Dama de Noche” variety but less intoxicating than what I am familiar with.

A Sapling with Potential

It was also a very good time for my daughter and I to visit the plant nurseries located at a portion of the QC Circle (a park inside a large traffic circle).

We ohhed and ahhed at every plant and flower we set our eyes on.   A true feast for the senses.

Here we found the latest  craze of interior designers: soil-less plants. 


As many as there are colors in a spectrum, there were just as many variety of the Gumamela.



Cactus, Cacti, Cac-a-lot.



"You have a small lot” was the voice in my head every time I stared too long at a plant I want to buy and take home.  


So I managed to satisfy the amateur farmer in me with purchases of:  citronella- to drive the mosquitos away; 


 tarragon- to make fragrant tea (thanks to good friend V who introduced this to me);


 Italian oregano- to ensure I have them on hand for my cooking; 


and, stevia—because I was curious about this natural sweetener. They also have the tiniest blossoms.



My daughter bought two cacti to replace the one that died.  Apparently, we over-watered it. Too much attention can kill.  Imagine that!




----xoxoxox----

When you plant, you nurture.  When you nurture, you love.  When you love, God smiles and let's a miracle happen.  

----xoxoxox----

Growing plants-- flowering shrubs, vegetables, herbs  or fruit tree-- you need basic information. Information that will ensure a successful growth and possibly a harvest of fruits or a bunch of flowers to grace your home.  You can start by asking folks that man plant nurseries or surf the net.  Having a green thumb is optional.

Here's what I did with the seeds from the peacock plant:

1. Not having enough pots to plant the seed, I used tin cans.  To ensure good drainage, I punched some holes at the bottom of the can.


2.  I filled the can with soil (if you don't have good soil, you can get some at the plant nursery). 

3.  I poked a hole in the middle of the soil (about an inch deep) and dropped in the seed.


4.  I covered the seed and gently pressed the soil over it.

5.  I sprinkled water on the soil until it was very moist.

6.  I left the can in the garden that had partial sunshine.


7.  Then I patiently waited.

8.  In  two week's time,  tiny plant heads were pushing it's way out of the soil.



9.  It will take a while before I shall transfer the plants to the ground.  They will first need to grow sturdy enough to withstand the elements.  

I will get back to you when this transfer occurs.  Meanwhile, start planting and watch a miracle unfold before your very eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment