Friday, June 13, 2014

Free to Be

I celebrated Independence Day with my kiddos.

My son had been living on his own for 10 years now while my daughter is a newbie and is still learning the ropes of living on her own.  When I hear them talk and compare notes about water and electric bills, I get nostalgic. Was it not only yesterday, when they were chasing each other around the house—with water pistols?!?!

“What do you feel like eating?”, my daughter asked.

It was mid-morning and we had time to kill before my son joined us for a late lunch.

“How’s about a visit to a pastry shop where we can have good bread and sit around?”, I countered.

Guided by a magazine article on out-of-the-way eateries on the edge of the business district, she declared,  “I think I know the perfect spot.”





Bebe Rouge Patisserie (address: Sacred Heart St. cor. Metropolitan Ave., San Antonio Village, Makati)

Yes! It was perfect. Neat as a pin, dainty as lace.  It’s a Japanese-French café where we spent some time just going “Oh” and “Ah” at everything on display.  



Since we love bread, we ordered a small cheese loaf and cups of green tea latte.  We declared the bread to be the best we have ever tasted.

Then, taking the magazine writer’s advice, we ordered the strawberry short cake.  How best to describe it? Well, it’s a taste of heaven. Soft as a cloud with the right blend of sweet and light tartness.



While in the middle of our chit-chat, my son texts that he would be late.   All the better as we had the time to check out the Japanese grocery store beside the café.

New Hatchin

We entered through a small passage way with two cashiers on either side of the entrance.  Nothing prepared me for what followed next. Several rows of grocery items: the usual and the unusual.  



There were several freezers and chillers containing interesting pre-cooked meals; veggies; fish and meat. 



 had taken several pictures before I saw a sign that picture taking was not allowed.  Oh well, my apologies.  But pictures do speak volumes about a place and experience.  


I ended up buying a bottle of mirin, a bag of dried shitake mushrooms, a bag of wasabi flavored junk food, a small box of candies, and a bamboo serving spoon for tufu.  

My daughter got a bag of frozen steamed soy beans.   After we paid for our items, we were content to wait the few minutes for my son to pick us up.

“What do you feel like eating Mommy?”, my son asked as we settled inside his car.

“Let’s go for Japanese to round out  the day’s experience.”, was my quick response.

Using the magazine article as our guide, we were on our way for a Tonkatsu experience. But alas, it was not to be.  With a drizzle beating on the car and no parking to be had, we abandoned the plan and my son brought us to the next best Japanese alternative.

Nihonbashitei (address: Arnaiz Ave., Pasay Road)

I don’t know much about Japanese cuisine but on my own tummy scale, I give this place an 8. I thoroughly enjoyed the Unaju (eel), the bacon wrapped tiny mushrooms, and the miso soup. The kids went crazy over the salmon sashimi.  I still have to develop a taste for raw fish. (Give me kinilaw in coconut milk any day though).



Venue and service, I give a 10 for quick response from the waiting staff and for reasons to smile. 

      1)      There is an overhead flat screen showing a documentary of cats in a Greek Island. Meow! 



      2)   If you’re young, you get iced tea. If you’re old, you get hot tea. (Can you guess what I got?)

      3)   If you smoke, you get your own glass enclosed cubicles with anime pictures of sea creatures.

      4)   As you walk out of the restaurant, you get startled as a staff bids you a loud  good-bye through a mike.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable Independence Day celebration.  Their independence, my treat.

---xoxoxox---

The Philippines has had some rough times under Spanish, American and Japanese rule. But through sheer determination, the Filipino people have managed to gain freedom.  But independence is another thing.  I am not too sure about our country being independent of other countries.  With China breathing down our necks, we look to former “friends” for support.

---xoxoxox---

If there is one thing good about foreign influences, we should thank our lucky stars for the influences brought to the table—the dining table that is.   Let me influence you into trying this recipe for breaded fish fillet.  I learned this from G, my son’s former yaya (nurse maid).  It’s as close as having a Tonkatsu  (dare I say, a healthier version) experience in your very own kitchen.

G’s Breaded Fish Fillet

1 kilo white fish fillet (example: dory)
1 small onion, minced
½ cube of chicken bouillon made into a paste with 2 Tablespoons water
Pepper and salt
1 egg, beaten
Japanese bread crumbs
Oil for frying

In a bowl, marinate for at least 30 minutes sliced fish fillet in the onion, chicken cube, salt and pepper.



Pour the beaten egg into the bowl and coat the fish well.  One by one remove the fish slices and roll in bread crumbs.



Gently drop in hot oil and try about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.  Do not over crowd your pan.  Placed fried fish on paper towel to remove excess oil.



Serve with Japanese mayonnaise and shredded cabbage.


Arigatou Gozaimasu.

No comments:

Post a Comment