Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Love Affair

My love affair is a wondrous thing
That I'll rejoice in remembering
My love was born with my first tea set
Then came crystal bowls and fine Chinaware
...... (adapted from the song “Our Love Affair”)


Yes, I admit. I am one of those women who continues to have a love affair.  Not the sordid kind but one just as spell binding. 




It all began when I took notice of the delicate cup and saucer sets my mother kept behind a locked black wooden cabinet with sliding glass doors.  She had cups with embossed dragons. She had black cups with a delicate painted orchid. Best of all were the cups where I spied a shadow of a woman’s face that only appears at the bottom of the cup as I tilt the cup up to my lips.



Of course, many of these tea or coffee sets came with matching dinner plates, platters, soup bowls and dessert plates.  And as my father loved to entertain, there was also an assortment of glassware to match the beverage to be served: stout brandy glasses and hefty whiskey glasses,  thick beer mugs, tall cocktail glasses and goblets for sparkling wines. 


My love for porcelain dinnerware and crystals was further fired up when I got married. Much of our wedding presents came in one form of tableware or another.  But until my husband I had a place of our own, they had to be kept in their boxes. 


Eventually, we had our own house and I proudly displayed the apple of my eyes (wine glasses, cake stands, punch bowls and an assortment of fancy drinking glasses).  I gave strict orders that they were not to be used. I was afraid they might break or be ruined.  I had set aside sturdier dishware that could withstand the bumps and scratches of daily use. 




On special occasions, a lucky few would be brought out, washed and used for our guests.  So much memories got built into these tableware.  Birthdays, hen parties, graduation, and the occasional Christmas bash.

Over time, what was a source of joy gradually became a drain of energy.  Even when not in use, those on display needed the occasional washing and dusting.  Those in storage needed to be brought out as well for some cleaning or they would become housing settlements for spiders, silverfish and dreaded cockroaches.

Shortly after retirement, things came to a head when I consciously decided to simplify my life. That meant giving away things I hardly ever used or will ever use—including some of my table ware.  

I have to confess.  It’s not as easy as it sounds.  But every so often, there are clothes, books, bags, knick knacks, and tableware moving out of my life.    



Until the day comes when there is nothing left, I shall have to continue my affection for the remaining cups and saucers and bowls and plates still in my possession.

---xoxox---

I found that one perfect way of showing attention to my dishes was to use them as often as possible.  A humble fare of fried fish or steamed veggies look most appetizing when served up on fancy dishes.

Throwing the occasional get-together with friends, like the one I had last Saturday, is another way.  This does wonders for the big ticket items: antique glasses, crystal serving platters and cake stands. 


Of course, since I pared down my possession, I ended up using an assortment of mix-matched items to accommodate the number of invited guests. 



But this I find gave my table arrangement a whimsical charm – although a bit on the shabby side of charming.



One thing is sure. The ones I have kept up to this point and have come to use the most are the ones I truly love.

The affair continues.

---xoxox---


There was nothing fancy served up at the get-together I initiated last Saturday. I found that this simple roast chicken is even more appealing when presented on a cherished platter.  You’ll find yourself a keeper of a dish you'll want to cook again and again.




Inasal na Manok

1 whole chicken or your favorite chicken cut-- I like thighs and legs ( about 1.3-1.5 kilos)
soak in brine (1/4 c salt dissolved in enough water to cover the chicken) overnight in the fridge or at least two hours.

The next step: wash chicken  and wipe with paper towel-- the better for the marinate to stick.

Marinate in:
4 T patis or fish sauce
1 t pepper
1/4 salt
1/4- 1/2 t chili flakes or more if you want more heat
1 t sinigang mix powder 

If using whole chicken, stuff with:  (if using chicken pieces, mix the herbs with marinade)
a stalk of lemon grass
1 onion, sliced
2-3 bunches of spring onions



Best to marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.

Arrange inside your turbo or oven and set temperature to 375 and roast for 25 minutes. (Breast down first for whole chicken)  Lower temperature to 350 degrees and turn your chicken over.

Chicken is cooked when clear juices come out when pierced on the thickest part of the chicken meat.

For dessert, I served my sister M’s classic fudgy brownies.  Impressive on it’s own but it reaches a higher level when served in a dessert dish and topped with vanilla ice cream.  You’ll want to develop an affair with this out-of-this-world treat.  Find the recipe by clicking here .



1 comment:

  1. I love dishes, as you may have seen some during the breakfasts I served which even got maligned, maybe because I was bringing out my silver, but then again, when else, as, unlike before, I had parties, but, in simpler present days, no need, in my small house, in my retirement mode. Yes, USE even antiques. Yes, chicken is a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete