Sunday, April 13, 2014

Must Share

My alarm had gone off. It’s 4:30AM.  Anticipating what lay ahead made for a fitful sleep. Splashing cold water on my face gave me the jump start I needed.  Quickly, I got myself dressed. I tossed my camera and phone into my bag and headed down to the kitchen.

In less than 30 minutes, I was ready with my assignment: the group’s light breakfast and more.  Two mini coolers filled with solo bottles of frozen ice tea and bottles of cold water; two packs of chilled jello treats; a dozen each of ensaymadas and warm empanadas; mint candies and packs of wet wipes.

Nine pilgrims. One destination: The Divine Mercy Shrine in Marilao, Bulacan. 




Although I had visited this Shrine two years ago with three other friends (click here for that story), I could not help feeling excited again.  Was it the privilege to lift up my petitions and the petitions of my friends once more in a venerated site? Was it the chance to share my knowledge with those in the group who were first timers—including our parish priest, Fr J? Or, could it be the excitement of not knowing what the day held for us?

The group arrived 5 minutes before the 6:30AM mass at the Shrine. Just enough time for Fr J to be invited to co-celebrate the mass with Bishop Enriquez.  Our hearts swelled as we imagined how thrilled Fr J was at that moment. 


“Keep your eyes on the Lord and you will be saved,” extolled the Bishop in his homily.

I reflected on the many times I turned my eyes away, the many times I doubted.   More so, I thought back on the instances of distrust as I questioned the whereabouts of God in times of hardship and pain.  Is God for real?



But I also remembered what happened during the times I put my full trust in the Lord.  Why, for this particular trip, I was cool as a cucumber in my belief that all would go well.  I could have easily gotten nervous with the uncertainty on the number of participants: will 3, 5, 9 or 12 show up? ( we were 9)  I could have had an anxiety attack just waiting for a last minute call confirming that we had a van for our use. (a friend brought her van)  I could have just threw in the towel when I got a text that evening from our guide: “ I have a bum stomach and might not be well enough to be with you tomorrow”.  (she miraculously showed up feeling better)

After the mass , the group found a nice spot to eat our breakfast before proceeding with the way of the cross.  As we walked from one station to another under the blazing morning sun, a thought entered my mind.   Like many, I am always on the look-out for signs of God’s presence. The flashier, the better.   But what could be more brilliant than a blazing sun breaking through the clouds.   What could be better than the bond shared with my groups of friends who pray for each other every day.


Bowing my head, I prayed for greater clarity, for strength to keep on believing and the zeal to spread the good word.   It’s too good to keep to myself.

---xoxoxox---

The feast of the Divine Mercy is the Sunday following Easter Sunday.  For those who what to learn more about the Divine Mercy, be moved to check out this link.

You may also want to upload this official and free app developed by the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception. The app contains an interactive chapet of the Divine Mercy with an audio option; novena; station of the cross; and more.

---xoxoxox---

You know what else is too good not to share with you?  This super easy Baked (NOT fried) Empanada!  It’s the perfect snack/meal to take along to the movies, to an afternoon tea party with the girls, or to an out-of-town excursion. 

Baked Chicken Empanada ala Curly Cook
( adapted from this site http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/02/filipino-cuban-spanish-food-chicken-empanada-picadillo-recipe/  and from memories of past empanadas of my mother and a friend’s aunt)

Filling
½ k chicken meat, cut into cubes
1 med-size onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 med potato, diced
1 med carrot, diced
½ c green peas
½ c raisins
Salt and pepper
About 2-3 T cooking oil
½ c cheese, diced
2 boiled eggs, sliced (about 8 slices per egg)

Saute the onions and garlic in the oil. Follow this with the chicken meat.  Once cooked, add the rest of the ingredients (except for the cheese and boiled eggs) one by one—making sure each is cooked before adding the next.  Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside to cool.



Dough:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cold
6 tbsp ice water
1 eggyolk

As in making a pie crust, in a bowl, cut the butter into the dry ingredients.  Once mixture resembles course meal or you have pea-size bits of butter move on to the next step. 

Add the ice water, a little at a time.  Using your hand, push the flour to the side of the bowl until the mixture clumps together.  You know it is ready when taking a bit between your fingers, it holds together and does not crumble.  If not, continue to add a little water and continue to push the dough to the side of the bowl.


Form the dough into a ball and lay on a piece of wax paper.  Cut the dough in half and roll out each piece into a log.  Divide the logs approximately into 8-10 pieces.  Gently roll into smaller balls and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Do not over handle or you will have a tough crust instead of the desired flaky result.

Once the dough has chilled, bring out from the fridge and begin the fun.  Roll each piece into a round disk—about 4 inches in diameter.  Place a 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling, top with a sliced of egg and some diced cheese.  Take one end and fold over the filling.  Carefully crimp or fold the edges inward to seal. This may take a little practice.

Place on a cookie sheet or baking pan and brush with the eggyolk.  Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown—about 25 minutes.


When done, remove and cool slightly on a wire rack.  Now remember. This is too good to eat by oneself.  


Note: leftovers may be frozen.  When feeling the urge for a quick snack, just zap in the micro-wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment