Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Price of Happiness



“Mommy, will you be putting up the Christmas tree this year?”, my daughter asked.

“I’m still thinking about it.”, was my response.  Setting up the Christmas tree and Belen has been another on-again-off-again affair with me since my kids graduated from college.  Reasons ranged from political:  “no tree until an unpopular president is booted out” to the apathetic: “why bother”.

“Come on mommy.  It will be fun.”, my daughter countered.

 
 
For a whole week, I thought about my daughter’s questio  I recalled feeling bouts of melancholy during the times when I opted not to put up the Christmas tree and Belen.  I felt like I had exiled myself on a tiny island in a vast ocean of green and red merriment.  

I concede now that happiness comes with a price.  It will not just drop on your lap as you sit around doing nothing.  It takes good old-fashion EFFORT to be happy.


Yup! In the case of putting up the Christmas tree, it takes energy to clean and assemble the tree before the twinkling lights can transform me into a child again. It takes time to hang up the balls and bows and angels and Santa Clauses before a smile forms on my face.  And most of all, it takes a continued stream of positive attitude to finish the work. And when the work is done, a glow of hope and tranquility radiates from within me.

Would I not rather pay the price?


  
And so I got busy.  

As I add the last ornament on the tree, I heard myself humming  the beginnings of “Joy to the World”.



----xoxoxox----

By now, you would have guessed rightly that cooking takes me to a happy place.  And  the Christmas season is a very good excuse to bring out my bowls and measuring cups and envelope myself in the happy scents of cinnamon, vanilla, and chocolate in an effort to bake something delicious for dear friends and family.



With the Tree and the Belen all done, I next went to work on three (yes! That’s three) kinds of cake in cupcake form.  


 I was ridiculously tired but so happy after 8 hours of measuring, sifting, stirring, portioning out and waiting to pop the little goodies out of the oven.  In between, I washed and cleaned up as I sang along with the radio playing “Rockin around the Christmas Tree”. 


Do yourself a favor and knock yourself out with happiness as you give these recipes a try. They are all keepers that you will go back to again and again after the Christmas season is over.

Viva’s Rum Butter Cake
Makes 3 loaf pans
(a recipe shared generously by an office colleague.  One bite and you’ll find it easy to get into the spirit of the season)


1 c butter
1 c sugar
6 eggs, separated
2 c cake flour
½ t salt
2 t baking powder
3/4 c sugar
½ t cream of tartar
3 T milk
½ t vanilla

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Grease three loaf pans—in my case, line cupcake pans with paper cup lining (24 pieces). Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar for two minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.

Sift together, three times, the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

Beat until stiff the egg whites with ¾ c sugar and ½ t cream of tartar. Set aside.

Cut and fold the dry ingredients into the butter, sugar and egg yolk mixture. Alternately stir in the milk and the vanilla.

Lastly, cut and fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour into prepared loaf pans or cup cake pan , dividing equally.  
Bake at 350 degrees for 37 minutes for loaf pans or 20 minutes for cup cake. When the cakes have cooled down, using a fork or ice pick, prick holes all over the top of the cake.  This will allow the rum mixture to seep into the cake. Set aside.

Rum Mixture
1 c water
1 c sugar
½ c butter
½ c rum (Tanduay 5-year old is my choice)

Heat up the water, sugar and butter.  When butter and sugar are melted, remove from fire. Add the rum. Carefully and very slowly spoon the rum mixture over the cakes.

Best eaten a day or two after the cake has “aged” in the fridge.

Carrot Cake (adapted from a very old Good Housekeeping Magazine recipe)
This can be healthy if you leave out the frosting.  But who wants to live forever?


Carrot Cake:
Group 1: sift together:
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t salt

Group 2: Beat together:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil (I use corn)

Group 3: Mix together:
1 can (8-ounce/227g) crushed pineapple in juice, do not drain
3 c loosely packed peeled and shredded carrots
1 cup(s) walnuts, chopped

Procedure:
Line cup cake pans with paper cup liners (24 pieces). Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
If using loaf pans, lightly oil bottom of 2 loaf pans and then dust with flour. You may also choose to line the pans with wax paper.

Into Group 1 add Group 2 and stir together.  Fold in Group 2.

Carefully ladle the mixture ¾ full into the pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes for loaf pans and about 20 minutes for cupcakes or when inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounce(s) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch(s) salt
Prepare frosting: In large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, and salt until fluffy.


My Mom’s Classic Chocolate Cake
(this cake taste better the next day--- but who can wait until then)  You can find the recipe by clicking here.




No comments:

Post a Comment