Thursday, October 31, 2013

Back in the Spirit



As kids, my sibs and I never experienced trick or treating.  There were no costumes and knocking at neighbors’ gates for us.  (In any case my strict parents would never have allowed us out of the house in the first place.)

Unlike today, department stores did not outdo themselves with cobwebs and macabre display of frightful masks.  Radio and teevee stations went on with regular broadcasting and nary a mention of Halloween.  No biggie.



Fast forward twenty or so years later. My son is about 10 and my daughter 5.  It was to be their and my first Halloween experience.   The kids wore their regular t-shirts and shorts—no costumes then.   I took it upon myself to lead my children and a dozen or so kids around the neighborhood for some trick or treating adventure.  As I had given advance notices to the mothers of these kids, treats were ready to be distributed as we reached their houses. The beaming faces of the children was a sight to behold.

 
But most memorable were the visits to houses whose occupants did not know or understand the concept of Halloween.  At one house, we were told to come back on Christmas. At another, we were given half a loaf of sliced bread. Still another, some loose change.  In one house, we could see the occupants running back and forth inside the house.  Finally, they switched off all their lights.


As the years went by, the neighborhood Halloween preparations became organized. More mothers threw in their support.  More kids joined in wearing creatively crafted costumes.  It became such a big thing that at one point, a professional event management provider was hired to handle games and entertainment prior to the treat or tricking around the neighborhood.


 Then one year, it happened.  My kids and their friends grew up and out of Halloween.  No more costume planning.  No more need to hang up the scary dummy by the front door. No more recorded sound effects playing in the air.   I was done as head witch and did away with my pointy black hat.


Since then Halloween at our neighborhood was an on again and off again event.  Very much dependent on the kiddie population and the enthusiastic can-do attitude of young mothers-in-charge.  As soon as there was a critical mass of eager children brought about by the addition of young families in the neighborhood, we had a new crop of eager Halloweeners.   With my kids all grown-up, I no longer signed up our house in the trick or treat route. I had turned off the lights and turned my back on Halloween.


For some strange reason, I decided to break out of my cocoon this year.  I dug up a few trimmings, bought some blue lollies and I was ready when the kids came to ring my doorbell.  Their young smiling faces were all the treat I needed.

                                                   
This year, I decided to get back into the spirit of fun.


---xoxoxox---

Besides costumes and candy treats, I remember how my kids looked forward to what I would put on the table for lunch or dinner.  Or more specifically, what names I came up with to call their favorite dish. Anything round inevitably became eyeballs; anything crunchy involved some bone part; and, a splash of red meant the incorporation of blood.  Nothing was too gross a name to use. 

So why not get into the Halloween mood and sink your teeth in this version of pasta with meatballs in tomato sauce.  It will have you going for a second bite.

Dracula’s Bloody Pasta with Eyeballs (an adaptation based on Nigella Lawson’s recipe)

For the meatballs
¼ k ground pork
¼ k beef
1 egg
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t oregano
3 T breadcrumbs
salt & pepper

Don't be alarmed by the sight of two eggs. I doubled the recipe-- that's why.

 



To make the meatballs, just put everything in a large bowl, and then, using your hands, mix to combine, before shaping into small balls. 



 


 Place the meatballs on baking sheets or plates and set aside in the fridge for them to chill while you make the tomato sauce.








 

For the tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1T fresh Italian oregano leaves (or 1 t dried oregano)
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes 
2 packs of tomato sauce
3/4 c water
1 t sugar
salt and  pepper
a little over 1/3 c milk


Heat the butter and oil in a deep wide pan. Add the onions, garlic and oregano and sauté until soft over medium heat.

Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and water.  Throw in the sugar, some salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.  The tomato sauce will appear thin but I assure you that it will thicken later.

Stir in the milk, and then gently drop the meatballs in one by one.   


Don't stir the pan right away or you will break the meatballs up.  Wait until the meatballs have firmed up and are cooked through. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.

Stir mixture slowly and then partially cover pot with a lid. Cook everything for about 20 minutes more. At the end of cooking time, check the seasoning.




 For the Pasta
Cook 500 g of flat pasta like Fettuccine or Linguini as directed in the package


Putting everything together:
In a big bowl, mix the cooked and drained hot pasta with about half of the tomato sauce with meatballs. 

Then add the rest of the meatballs and sauce over the pasta.


Serve with garlic bread and more Parmesan cheese.

Note: Refrigerate any left-over.  The next day, zap for a few minutes in the micro-wave and re-live the delicious experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment