Friday, August 23, 2013

Rainy Days are for…


Weeding out never-to-be used again stuff that has outlived its usefulness from closets, cabinets, drawers, bookshelves and every hoarder’s hiding places in the house.

Lying down to nap

Go through the stack of mail— bank notices, subdivision flyers, bills--  that has piled up over the last month

Lying down to flip through a food magazine

Staring out of the window to see how flooded my garden is.
 
Lying down to watch cable teevee: Anthony Bordain eating his way through L.A., New York, Singapore, Bangkok…..

Going through my music CDs and occasionally join in the singing….. “Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain”….



Lying down with a good book

Catching up with family members and friends on FB and Viber

Lying down to give my back a good stretch

Putting out my beads to craft out another key chain.


Lying down to nap again

Sitting quietly to thank the Lord for small pleasures on a raining day and remembering to pray for those who are not as lucky as I am.

----xoxoxox----

Rainy days are for clearing the mind of mundane worries and concerns.  A good way to do this, I find, is to hole up in my kitchen with that one recipe I have been waiting for the right moment to execute.

No rush, no pressure, no time constraint.  Just the rain beating down on the roof while I concentrated on measurements, cooking process and temperature control.

For that particular rainy Tuesday afternoon, I decided to try my hand at making guava jelly. With enough frozen guavas gathered in a span of two months, it was the perfect time. (I only have one guava tree and it took awhile of patiently picking the fruits before the birds and bats got to them first)

Using a recipe I found in one of my dog-eared recipe books,  I started to chop the pungent fruit.  The smell brought back memories of tall guava trees we used to have at the back of our house in Cebu. 


Alone in my kitchen, I remember how my mother would chop, boil and strain the softened fruit.  Guided by the recipe book, I followed through the procedures as best as I could.

Ingredients:
Guavas- both ripe and still green, chopped
Water- just enough to cover the chopped fruits
Sugar
Lemon or Calamansi Juice


Procedure:
1.      Bring to a boil and let simmer until fruit is very soft.

With all the windows closed, the house took on a lovely warm scent.  No longer offensive, the brew gave off an exotic citrusy whiff of  sweet fruity summer days. 
 

2.      Pour the mixture through a strainer.  Discard the boiled fruit.  Further strain the resulting liquid using a cheese cloth.

I still can picture how she would put the boiled fruit in a clean recycled flour sack and hang the bundle on a rod for all the drippings to be gathered in a basin below.  The bundle was left to drip overnight. 

I poured the boiled fruit through a strainer.  For lack of a cheese cloth or flour sack, I decided to use coffee filter paper to strain further the resulting liquid.  It was a very slow process and I had to change the filter several times.  I had been warned that squeezing the pulp would result in a cloudy jelly.  There really was no quicker way around this.  Well, I did have plenty of time.

  
3.      Measure out the strained liquid and put back into a pot with some sugar and lemon or calamansi juice.  ( 1 cup liquid = ½ c sugar + 1 teaspoon lemon or calamansi juice)

Once I had strained all of the boiled liquid, it was back to the pot to boil with some sugar.    It was a good two more hours before the liquid firmed up.

4.      Cook on low to medium heat until liquid is reduced and coats the spoon and there is a thick residue on the side of the pot.

5.  Pour into sterilized jars.  (Boil jar in enough water for about 5 minutes)

Having sterilized two mayonnaise jars, I poured the hot dark red-orange jelly in.  I was a bit skeptical that it would not firm up some more.   But after it had considerably cooled down, it was the perfect jiggly consistency. 


My hubby had his own childhood memories pop in after his first taste of the jelly.  He said it reminded him of the imported guava jelly in round tin cans that his mother use to get at the supermarket.


Oh, I love the rainy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment