Friday, January 11, 2013

Turning Chicken

A well meaning friend, let’s call her C, comes up to me after morning mass and tells me that she was castigated by a mutual friend (let’s call her D).


Apparently, D was upset that she was not informed about a little gathering we had a few days ago. Since I was charged with informing the group, C asked if I had sent out the text invite to D. I immediately said yes!

Not wanting to upset my morning, I changed the subject. After we went out separate ways, I could not help feeling uneasy about the whole thing. Did my text fail to reach D?

Upon checking my celphone’s sent folder, I could no longer retrieve the messages I sent out four days ago as my unit could only save the last 15 messages.

My first thought was to just ignore this little incident. D has been known to be moody so I brush her actions. But somehow the nagging thought that I might have hurt D would not go away. Pride is an awful thing to have and can make a strong person turn chicken and run the other way. I did not want to start the year by becoming a chicken.

After morning mass today, I decided to greet D as she was leaving the church. I tried to catch her eye, but she seemed bent on looking the other way.

Oh well, I guess she still had issues with me. Then again, maybe she had to hurry home and I was making unfair assumptions.

In time, I hope I build enough courage to walk up to her and clear the air. Life is too short to let pride stand in the way of friendship. Besides, I don’t want to be a chicken.


xxxoooxxxoooxxxoooxxx


On the last night in London, my sister and I were deciding what and where to eat. Passing several restaurants in a nearby mall, we decided to try out the chicken at Nando’s. Top on the menu was Peri-peri chicken—a spicy dish with roots in both Portugal and Africa. I was so taken by the delicious flavor that I made up my mind to make it at home.


After reading up on the many peri-peri recipes on the internet, I ended up trying out the recipe offered by Antony Worrall Thompson found on the BBC website as reference. And I must say that it hit the spot.


Here’s one chicken dish that you can be proud of and will surely have your friends come running to get a bite.


Piri-piri Chicken (adapted from AWT’s recipe)

Brine 6 pieces of chicken legs and thighs (about 1 kilo) in a measure of ¼ c salt and enough water to cover the chicken. Leave in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours.

Peri-Peri Marinade

Place all of the following ingredients into a pan and simmer for about 2-3 minutes. 1 bell pepper (roasted, charred skin peeled off, sliced) – I roast my pepper directly on the flames of my gas burner.

1 serrano pepper (chili espada—the one you use for sinigang—also roasted, charred skin peeled off and sliced. If you want more heat, you can use more pepper or the hotter variety of pepper)

1 T chopped garlic
1 t salt
½ t dried oregano (or 1 t fresh oregano)
½ t paprika
¼ c olive oil
3 T lemoncito or lemon juice

Cool down and then transfer to a food processor and pulse away.

Wash the chicken thighs and legs and pat dry. Add slits on the thighs and legs so that the marinade can go through. This will also make sure the chicken cooks through quickly. Pour the marinade and massage into the chicken pieces.
Let the chicken marinate for at least one hour or overnight. The wait will be worth it.

Pour enough olive oil to coat a pan. Take out the chicken from the fridge and give each piece a quick fry--- just enough to get the pieces brown on both sides.

Place fried chicken onto a pan and roast for 20-30 minutes in a 200C/390F oven. Brush with remaining marinade from time to time.

Serve with potato fries and a green salad…. and lots of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment