Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Feel at Home

If there is one day in the week that I so love, it would be Saturday. It’s the day I leave the dust in peace and the laundry for Monday. It’s the day that I linger over breakfast—in my housedress. It’s the day that holds exciting possibilities of discoveries— checking out a nearby farmer’s market, a romp around the neighborhood, or simply a good book to read while curled up in bed.

But last Saturday was extra special. I and a group of very close friends were invited to spend the whole day in the new homes of two other friends. It was a coincidence that both homes were located not far from each other in a neighborhood that was still lush with vegetation.

I always believe that to be invited to someone’s home is a privilege. It is not only an invitation to set foot inside the person’s “castle”, but it is very much an invitation to see the homeowners as they truly are.

And what a privilege it was indeed! We had lunch at the first house at a very leisurely pace. The hostess making sure that our needs were met. Good food made for good conversation around the table. In between bites of King Seafood Roll, I could not help admiring the tastefully arranged interiors as the sunlight poured in from floor to ceiling windows.

But I believe that the loving relationship of the family within made for the brightness in the home.

With the long lunch over, we moved on to the tour of the house. Every now and then, we would pause to comment about the wallpaper or a particular artistic treatment of the floor in the outside balcony.

Again, I felt fortunate to be allowed access to my friend’s private sanctuary.

Then it was time to move on to the second house for afternoon snacks. When we arrived, I already felt a welcoming warmth envelope the group just by walking up to the front door. Just like the first house, the second house was tastefully furnished. Just like the first house, the second house radiated with a very positive energy. We moved from one level to the next—stopping to glance inside the rooms. Again, I felt honored to be invited into the heart of my friend.

We then settled in what I felt was the best part of the house. A balcony that overlooked a view of distant mountains. Here we continued our conversations on life and love over plateful of delicious pasta and smile inducing desserts. Before we knew it, night had descended and a concerto of sounds filled the darkness.

We dilly-dallied with our good-byes. We lingered on the roadside before reluctantly climbing into the car that would take us home.   As I look back at my friend’s house, I could not help thinking that a day spent with good friends always seem too short.

0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0

Housewarming Prayer


O Lord, bless this new home with your presence.
May your angels always hover over it and keep it safe.
May this home be filled with laughter and love.
And may Mary, your mother, help keep
this home a haven of peace.


Amen.

0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0


Through my writings, I have opened myself to many of you. Through my musings, I have allowed you to take a peek at my life. And each time you visit, I will continue to welcome you with life’s stories and virtually serve up dishes you can prepare for your love ones.
The following is a recipe of a dish served up at one of my friend’s home. I marveled at how each ingredient complimented the other—just like true friends.


King Seafood Roll

250 grams sliced fish fillet (creamy dory will do)
2 t minced ginger
1 ½ t salt
1 egg white
1 t sesame oil
5 crab sticks, sliced in half (you can find this in the freezer section of your grocery)
5 dried shitake mushroom (rehydrate in a bowl of water)
10 pcs shelled and deveined shrimps
10 pcs Chinese cabbage leaves (pechay Bagiuo)


In a bowl, mix the sliced fish fillet, ginger, salt, egg white and sesame oil. Set aside.

Remove the hard stem from the softened mushroom and cut in half.

In another bowl, place the washed Chinese cabbage leaves and pour very hot water on it. Remove the leaves as soon as they wilt and drain. Set aside.

On a plate, lay one Chinese cabbage leaf. On the leafy part, place a piece of fish, mushroom, crab stick and shrimp.


Roll up toward the soften stem part of the leaf. Repeat with the rest until you have wrapped up everything.



Place in a steamer and steam for about 10-15 minutes depending on how large your roll is.

Serve piping hot with soy sauce and calamansi or lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment