Monday, July 23, 2012

The Universe and My Tuki Experience

Almost fifteen years ago, I listened enthralled as an officemate narrated his encounter with the whale sharks of Donsol, Bicol. He had gone with his wife and rode out into the deep ocean in search of these gentle giants. Words could not describe how awesome it felt seeing a whale shark, as huge as an EDSA Bus, swim underneath him.

From that time on, I longed to see a whale shark. And two weeks ago, I not only saw a whale shark, but swam with at least three of the eleven that were present in Tan-awan, Oslob (located close to the southern tip of Cebu). One was at least 7 meters long.  When it fed off the hand of the fisherman, I could see its tail almost reaching the bottom of the sea.

I see You & You see Me

To quote Paolo Coelho, “when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it.” And boy oh boy, did the universe deliver.

Mouth Wide Open

Like my officemate, I too am at a lost for words to describe my experience. Instead, as best as I could, what follows are my impression of the Oslob “tukis” in Haiku.

so close to shore

=====================

Tuki
From underneath you
Come to feed on hand-held krill
Have you lost your mind?

For long months you swim
In shallow waters to play
Forgetting to flee.

You are to teach us
Open our eyes to see the
need to live as one.



=====================

While the “tukis” had their krill, my sisters and I had the best ever tasting grilled pork chops prepared by the cook at the MB’s Sunrise View Resort. 5 pork chops with a cup of rice all for P300. The universe had given us so much more.




Swimming with the “tukis” is a once in a lifetime experience. But having finger licking pork chops for lunch is an experience that is easier to recreate again and again.



My Pan Fried Pork Chops

4 pork chops
Half a head of garlic, smashed
Juice of 6-8 calamanis (or 1lemon)
2 T soy sauce
A dash of tumeric powder (optional)
A dash of cumin powder (optional)
Salt and pepper
Vegetable Cooking Oil
Marinate the chops in the fridge for at least an hour—best if overnight.

Heat up a pan and add about a tablespoon or two of oil. When hot, drop your pork chop and fry one at a time. Add oil as needed.

Serve with some pickled vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment