Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baby Cakes

The invitation said 11AM. We were running late.

Two days after arriving in the US, my mother and I were still battling with jetlag. But by some miracle and lots of understanding from my sister assigned to pick us up, we made it to the surprise baby shower for my sister-in-law, M.

My sister-in-law is on her eighth month and the party was just the thing she needed to give her that boost that everything will be alright. Though, this will be her 2nd child, the five year gap with the first birth experience is enough to blur the memory.

I marveled at the length that her best friend went to ensure that everything was perfect. From the orange themed décor and the group crafting activities



the mini-sandwiches; the oh so pretty cake



& cupcakes;



down to the toffee candy party favors given out to each guests.



Memories of past baby showers filled my mind as I looked on at her young guests—mothers in their early thirties. I listened as they gave tips to M on the latest baby trends; advances in breastfeeding techniques and eco-friendly baby wear.

I glanced at the presents all wrapped up in baby finery.



The birth of a child is considered a welcome gift by many when it is planned. But there is the sad reality of unwanted conceptions too. Sigh…

Shaking myself from that melancholy thought, I look on at my sister-in-law’s round & taunt stomach, and prayed there would be far more greater number of babies born to a welcoming and nurturing world.

b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b ^ b

Baby Cake

1 father, mature and a pillar of strength
1 mother, soft to the touch and nurturing
1 pure and condition-free love (no substitutions)
A set of doting grandparents (great to add but, if not available, is optional)
A sprinkling of caring relatives and friends

In a bowl of love, mix well the first two ingredients. Set aside to develop in a warm and positive environment. After nine months, present to doting grandparents. A sprinkling of affection from caring relatives and friends will mean endless smiles and giggles.

May at times cause heartburns if taken too seriously. Best accompanied with prayers to ensure a lifetime of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment