Friday, July 1, 2011

Home Reading Program

A constant item on my to-do list these days is to read at least two books a month. Some of you may not consider this a hard task to do. Many of you actually make it a regular habit-- lucky you! In my case, I have to make a conscious effort to take time out to "curl up" with a book. Because if I don't, there will always be some task-- clean and organize what’s left of the contents inside cabinets and drawers, do a beading project, draw up a weekly menu, visit with a friend, watch teevee, de-bug and de-snail the garden. I have more alibis than a harden criminal.

Growing up, the only source of reading materials in our house consisted of the Manila Bulletin Newspaper and the occasional Reader's Digest. As there were many of us (7 kids) in the house, my father assigned a day each where each of us had priority over these materials. Being the eldest, I was assigned Monday as my reading day. Every Monday I had first crack at the comic section (!). So much for a reading program at home.

Then in high school, I was fortunate to have a literature teacher, Ms. C Lana, who was responsible for opening up the wonders of the written word for my classmates and I. She did not care what we read but that we read-- a lot. The books of choice then among my friends were of the Mills and Boons variety. At 14 and with raging hormones, these romantic novelettes were most appealing. The classics were forced on us by way of the required book reports. But they too eventually gained my appreciation. Ms. Lana made poetry reading and role playing (heavy Shakespearean characters) interesting and fun as well.

Reading a book is not essential to survive. So why do it at all, you ask.

I have come to realize that being able to read a well-written book can be an enriching experience. Through these books, I have traveled many places without getting on a plane; and, savored fine cuisine with kings and scoundrels. I have eavesdrop on illicit affairs and learned a couple of "tricks" to liven things up in my own. I have solved mysteries and cried a river over the lost of innocence. New words and new ideas. Inspiration and hope. (Thank you Ms. Lana!)

Have you read anything good lately?



"Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." quote book publisher Charles Scribner, Jr.

* : * : * : * :* : * : * :* : * :* : * :* : * :* : * :* : * :

Well, if you have not read anything good lately, why not try cooking up something delicious and out of the ordinary. I just cooked the following chowder for dinner two nights ago. If this recipe was classified like a book, I would mark it as an excellent classic in the non-fiction category.



Seafood Chowder ala Me ( a conglomeration of similar recipes)

4 strips bacon, sliced up
250 g creamy dory fillet, cubed
100 g baby squid, cleaned, skinned and cut up into rings
100 g baby shrimps, shelled
¼ c canned corn, cream style
1 small carrot, cubed
1 med potato, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 c chicken stock
¼ c peas (optional)
1 c roux* (recipe below)
Salt and pepper to taste

Drop sliced bacon onto a hot pan. Stir until cook but not up to the crispy stage. Set aside. Saute the onions and garlic in the bacon fat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink in color. Stir in the squid and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the fish and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the bacon, stock, corn and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are almost done. Add the carrot and continue cooking until carrots are tender. Stir in the roux a little at a time until you get the right consistency you want—too much and you will need a knife to slice through your chowder. (If too thick, just add more milk) Heat through. Season and serve hot with some crusty bread on the side.



Roux (soup thickener)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 c milk

Melt butter and quickly add the flour. Stir until a paste is formed. Beat in the milk. Watch the mixture thicken and like magic, you have a roux!

No comments:

Post a Comment