Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Tea Party


I took from the drawers
Cups and saucers.

Tea and coffee
All ready by three.

I skip, I hop
I can’t be stopped.

My guests are here,
Now pass those cupcakes, dear.


It seems that I have always had a fondness for parties. When I was little, I would be in awe as I quietly observed the grown-ups at parties at my fraternal grandmother’s house. My grandmother took her parties seriously. She ensured that the invited guests would be comfortable with each other; the food superbly matching the occasion, and little details, like flowers and music, were in place. The perfect eventologist!

Although parties at my parent’s house were not as big a production as that of my grandmother’s, my mother put into practice what she learned from the parties organized by my grandmother. And we did have quite a lot of parties at home albeit at a smaller scale. And unlike my grandmother, who would normally have her parties catered, my mother would cook all the main courses, including desserts, that would be served—sometimes feeding as many as 50 guests. It’s amazing how she still had the energy during the party to chat and laugh with the guests—fresh as if she came from a spa.

But the parties that I loved best were the small, intimate gatherings at home or at friends’ homes. These were the ones with no more than ten friends or relatives casually dressed and relaxing with a cup of coffee, tea or a cool drink. To keep the conversation flowing, there were usually a plate of homemade cookies or cupcakes, deity sandwiches and some sliced fruits for the grown-ups. The kids would have their own treat with ice cream thrown in for good measure. The talk would take a leisurely route— first off would usually be family updates; then to the latest office rumors, followed by the new fashion trends and the movie star of the hour. The talk trails off with other light subjects like hobbies and recipes. Nothing serious nor threatening. Somehow the hours just slowly matched along and then with a startle, someone notices the time. Good-byes are the longest when happy times were spent together with those whose company we enjoy having.

I sometimes wished that life could be just one tea party after another. But then I think about all the pounds I would put on from all the eating and sitting around. So I content myself with the occasional invite and busy myself with the planning, the calling, the cooking and the bringing out of my good cups and saucers.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

I recently found the occasion to hold a tea party in my garden. To be truthful, there were three occasions!! All three gatherings were a breeze to have: a casual set-up with some garden flowers in small vases, scented candles to ward off wondering bugs and an uncomplicated menu. At all three gatherings, my guests immediately felt at home and pampered all because they were comfortable with each other and they noticed that I had the best plates, glasses and cutlery set out for their use. No paper plates nor plastic spoons, please.



Now if you are thinking of having a tea party soon, let me share a great idea: serve a chocolate pudding pie in tiny tea cups. Not only will you impress your guests but there will be less washing ups later.

Chocolate Pudding Pie

1. Have ready three egg yolks that have been slightly beaten. Set aside.

2. Mix ½ cup cornstarch with ½ cup water. Set aside.

3. Place some water on the lower portion of your double boiler. Set on the stove and bring heat to medium.

4. On the top pan of a double boiler, mix 1 can condensed milk with ½ c cocoa powder.



5. As the mixture heats up, stir in 1 ¼ cup of hot water.

6. To ensure that your pudding doesn’t get lumpy, add a tablespoon or two of the chocolate mixture to your egg yolks and stir.

7. Slowing add the egg yolk mixture to the content on your double boiler.

8. Stir gently and continuously.

9. Add the water-cornstarch mixture to the chocolate pudding and stir.

10. The mixture will come to a pudding consistency and you can add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of butter to give it a shine.



11. While hot, spoon the pudding into teacups whose bottoms have been lined with graham cracker crust.




12. Cool and refrigerate.

13. Before serving add a dollop of chilled cream on top of each teacup.

Note: This can be done a day or two before the party and kept in your fridge.

Graham Cracker Crust

Mix together 1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers and 1/3 cup melted butter. Divide into 12 portions of about a tablespoon for each teacup. Press each portion into the bottom of each tea cup. For presentation purposes, it is best to use tiny tea cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment