Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Green Magic

Same time last year, I sowed a whole pack of basil seeds and patiently waited for them to pop out of the soil. Next thing I knew, every available space in my garden was filled with basil plants. A whiff of their aromatic fresh green grassy scent was a welcome treat as I watered them in the morning.



And when they were tall enough for harvest, I always ended up with a basket full of their green leaves. Leaves that quickly were grinded up with garlic, walnuts and olive oil for a cup of flavor-packed pesto.



I must have done something good because the basil plants just kept on sprouting new leaves. And one not given to waste a good thing, my freezer was soon filled with pesto; my neighbors were receiving a supply of basil leaves on a regular basis; and, many of our meals at home had basil as an ingredient or a garnish.



But alas, good things don’t last forever. Three weeks ago I smothered some angel hair pasta with my last batch of pesto. And like magic, in the middle of December, it was summer again. Why is it that you tend to savor something more when there is little left of it?

It’s time to search the plant nursery stores for a pack of basil seeds. With some luck, I might just bring back the magic.

Meanwhile, should you spy some basil in the produce section of the grocery, buy some and give the pesto recipe below a try.

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed tightly
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted or substitute for walnuts
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon soften butter

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process to a smooth sauce. Enjoy on Angel Hair pasta. Add as much parmasan cheese to your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment