Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sublime Madness

“Retire?”
“But why? You’re still young.”


This is the reaction I receive to my response to the initial inquiry into my present occupation.

You might say that I am thankful for these remarks. They serve as a reminder and a validation to the reasons behind my action-- one friend recently tagged as “sublime madness”.

These reactions bring to mind, as well, some questions I regularly ask myself. The answers of which are still forming in my head.

Where does the road less travel lead to?
What skill can I still learn or improve on?
Can there ever be too much time spent just sitting, chatting and being with family, friends or just with myself?
What is my spiritual identity?

But one thing I know is that I cannot be grateful enough for the opportunity to immerse myself in this madness while I still have the energy— while I am still “young”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Excepts from a Barbra Streisand song: “Everything”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvrY2bn1Jo&feature=related

I want to learn what life is for
I don’t want much, I just want more
Ask what I want and I will sing
I want everything (everything)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, I attended a bible study that tackled the topic on payer. This was most helpful as it gave me the opportunity to examine the what, how and why I pray and more importantly, gave me time to reflect on the God I pray to.

And although I look forward to the serious discussions that ensue, I also enjoy very much the lighthearted exchanges that take place over pot-luck dishes brought in for the meal that follows afterward.

Below is the recipe for the tuna sandwich I brought. You’ll surely go mad over the delicious take on an old-time favorite.

Classic Tuna Salad
(adapted from Cook’s Illustrated May & June 2001)
Say good-bye to second rate, mushy, watery and bland tuna sandwiches of the past.

2 cans of solid tuna in water
2 T juice from 1 lemon (or calamansi)
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 small rib celery, minced (about ¼ c)
2 T minced onion
2 T minced dill or sweet pickles
½ small garlic clove, minced (about 1/8 t)
2 T minced fresh parsley leaves (optional)
½ c mayonnaise
¼ t Dijon mustard



Drain tuna in colander and shred with fingers until no clumps remain and texture is fine and even. Transfer tuna to a medium bowl and mix in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, celery, onion, pickles, garlic and parley until blended.

Fold in mayonnaise and mustard until tuna is evenly moistened.



Can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days)



Makes about 2 cups, enough for 10 no-frills sandwiches or 4 dressed-up and hearty sandwiches.

Note:
For a more luxurious and dressed-up sandwich, I like serving the spread on slightly toasted walnut wheat bread. If not available, you can toss some chopped walnuts into the tuna salad.
I first butter two pieces of sliced bread. Then I place a nice piece of lettuce leaf on one slice of bread before topping with a scoop of the tuna salad.
For the grand finale, I like to add thinly sliced apples before topping with the other piece of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment