Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Good Copy

When I was growing up, copying was a no-no. Teachers would always announce before a test, “No copying”. It was fashion suicide if you find that you have on the same dress or blouse as another guest at a party. Woe to you if you were caught passing counterfeit bills. There was always the call to be original, to be a trail blazer, a one-of-a-kind.

As I grew older, I realize that like anything in life, there are always two sides to a coin. And copying too can be positive. Positive when one tries to emulate someone’s noble action— a favorite hero or saint or a child’s unconditional love; positive if the outcome brings some benefit to oneself or to others-- like copying best practices picked up in the corporate world and incorporate in ones business or outreach program; positive if you feel joy and fulfillment— like singing or dancing ala Byonce (in your room).

I did a lot of copying while I was recuperating from a strained back muscle. It brought me much joy and a feeling of accomplishment when I gave water coloring a try. I tried my best to make a water color copy a picture I took of a gumamela. Can't compete with nature but as they say, "Copying is sincerest form of flattery".


Nature's Beauty


My sincere attempt at Flattery

The second was to copy a beadwork done by some African tribe woman on a bottle. My copying skills were truly put to a test with wonderful results. I have then moved on to teach my help how to copy what I copied in an effort to give them something new to learn and occupy their time.


The original


My copy

How about you? Copied anything interesting lately?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For lunch today, we are having Sauted Beef with Eggplant & Alugbati (Malabar spinach). The original recipe I copied from my mother. To lend some bit of originality to it, I have tweaked the recipe and used oyster sauce instead of soy sauce. You are most welcome to copy and give it your own special tweak.

Sauted Beef Strips with Eggplant & Alugbati

1 ½- 2 cups of chopped eggplants (soak in water to keep from discoloring)



2-3 cups of rinsed alugbati leaves
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped



¼ kilo of beef strips (if you suspect it to be tough, give it some pounding)
2-3 tablespoons of oyster sauce
½ c of stock or water
1 green chili pepper (sili espada or mahaba)
Salt and pepper and fish sauce (patis- optional)

Saute the garlic then follow this up with the onions. When the onions become translucent, add the tomatoes. Saute until tomatoes are tender before adding the beef strips. Cook lightly over medium to low heat. Add a splash of water or stock and the oyster sauce. Toss in a green chili pepper and the eggplants. Let simmer for awhile. Season with salt and pepper and fish sauce (patis) if the spirit moves you.

Add the alugbati leaves once the eggplants become tender. Stir to wilt the leaves. Check the flavor and correct if necessary with more salt and pepper.

Serve piping hot with steamed rice.

2 comments:

  1. Another great article .............Nice going Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, great article! Will see when I can cook the recipe! Am not a great cook, just like to eat! Looking forward to your next article! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete