Sunday, November 20, 2011

Garden Duty

A cloudy day and the garden calls for attention.



Weeds to pull; baby basil plants to transfer from recycled sardine cans to a proper home in the ground;



grass to cut and unruly vines to trim.



Thankfully, I had M to assist me and we quietly went to work.

There is something to be said about the calming, almost trance-like, experience I get when I work in my tiny plot. Bothersome thoughts would come but would not stay long. How could they when my focus was on tilling the soil around my plants. By tilling around their base, the plants and I allow each other to breath easy.



A slow breeze try to cool off my flashed face. A butterfly leisurely float from one tiny flower to the next. A ladybug lands on my thumb. Everything seems to be right in the world.

Before I knew it, we were done. I stand to admire the result of our ministration.



--------------------------------------------------------------------

I held myself back from picking the leaves off my basil plants. I would need at least 2 cups of leaves to make a decent pesto. Perhaps in two weeks time. For now I turn my attention on my bushy oregano plant. It’s been more than two years now since I planted my oregano. Just running my hands through it’s tiny leaves send up a pleasing aromatic scent— reminding me of summer and all things Mediterranean.

Speaking of the oregano, I share with you today a recipe I got out of a Williams- Sonoma recipe book on chicken. It calls for some oregano.



When I first came across it, I was intrigued by it’s title, “Basque Chicken”. You see my mother’s father was a Basque. But that’s another story which I will reserve for another time.

Now on to the recipe. Like me, I am sure, you will find it easy to do and has an aroma that is sure to captivate you.

Basque Chicken
Adoptation From Williams- Sonoma Kitchen Library

1 chicken, about 1.5 kilos (In my case, I use thighs & legs)
3 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon dried thyme (I omit this if I don’t have it)
½ teaspoon dried oregano (in my case, I use 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano)
2 shallots, chopped ( I used 1 medium size onion)
2 tomatoes, sliced ( I used 5 tiny pinoy tomatoes)
1 cup chicken stock (I used ½ cube of chicken buillion dissolved in 1 cup water)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ cup green olives, preferably Italian (I used whatever the supermarket is selling)
½ cup black olives, preferably Italian
Note on olives: I used ½ cup only of either black or green olives

Skin the chicken and cut into 8 pieces. Time off any excess fat.
Warm the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Stir in the thyme and oregano and add the chicken.
Saute, turning the pieces as they become golden, 3-4 minutes on each side. (set aside)



Add the shallots (or onions) and tomatoes to the skillet and stir until soft, 2-3 minutes. Pour in ½ cup of the stock and bring to a boil. De glaze the pan by stirring to dislodge any browned bits. Add the olives.



Return the chicken back into the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.



Stir the sauce and then pour in the remaining ½ cup stock. Simmer until the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter with sauce and serve.



Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment